1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Type of Tent For Long Camping Trips

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Apr 13, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Backpack tent wise, back to the drawing board. I am about ready to sew my own tent. Really finding the most affordable, but best tent for my area, and for an older woman to use is becoming quite the..........

scavenger hunt.jpg

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

With such a variety I'm sure you will find one eventually.

I'm glad that I'm not out this weekend - miserable to say the least. And to think that traditionally in this neck of the woods we think of this as the beginning of summer fun. Gettin mighty cold in them there hills - temperatures down to 2 Celsius with frost warnings every where. No thanks - I'll wait a bit longer.

3. 2sweed

It is raining and cold here suppose to be close to 34 degrees tonight. Had to turn the heat up again, makes the gas company happy I am sure.
    Looked at llbean and found two I like but the price on sale is still a bit more than my budget. There is one looks good thou, but might need to watch for a better deal elsewhere's.

4. 2sweed

What is the best choice when picking a tent as far as tent poles go? Most have fiberglass, but some have steel or aluminum jointed poles. It seems some bend easier although, often times they will dry rot or bend and break.

5. Northern Dancer

Hi there -

You always have such good questions. :)

The best poles are those recommended by the manufacturer. Having said that anytime I purchase a tent I immediately change the guy lines and stakes. I do not use plastic or wire type stakes ever and the guy lines are usually cheap accept for the more expensive brands. So...what can I say? I like steal - but they can be overly heavy when I'm going into the interior. Base camp? I'll use anything I want.

Your equipment [whatever you decide] will last a reasonable length of time if taken care of and this is really important stored properly. I'm surprised at the number of people who will lay a tent down on a cement floor. [That's a no no!] Or simply put away a wet tent folded incorrectly. Someone borrowed one of my tents [I don't loan equipment anymore.] packed it up wet, stashed it in his trunk for more than two weeks and finally returned it. The mildew destroyed the protective rain cover and made the tent totally useless...about $600.00 worth of damage.

6. 2sweed

And you always share such good answers. Hum.....now I have to think up a few more questions. :( Give me a few minutes...days, to think. :happy:

7. Northern Dancer

Anytime - it's a pleasure to share.

8. 2sweed

You all will be happy and relieved to know that I finally ordered a tent. I settled for the Trekker, from Cabela's. I got a great deal because it was on sale, plus free shipping to boot. I got it mainly because it is tall enough to stand up in and has screened windows with zip up coverings. Sleeps 5, or provides me with room for cots and gear. And has a good flooring design and waterproofing. So I hope I will be able to set it up easily with help of a friend and be able to camp with my friends this summer. :happy::happy::happy:

9. Northern Dancer

FABULOUS! :finger: I hope that this symbol also means...way to go! Now when you get some "campin in" you haveta post pictures on line. :)

10. 2sweed

New question.
    You mentioned above you always change out the guy wires. So what brand do you change too? And i know about heavy duty metal stakes, but if the seams where the fiberglass poles go through are weak, what would be the best way to reinforce them to make them last longer and be stronger?

11. 2sweed

Hopefully, I can get someone to help me set up the new tent in my backyard and then get it down and back in carry bag. It will be nice to test out the feel and sight of it all set up and ready for use. I am looking for our older cots and all my other camping supplies. Hope to use the tent soon. :D:):happy:

12. Northern Dancer

The manufacturers guy lines are okay - I just upgrade them to a better quality. I just like a different style or look - something a bit cool or a bit unusual. Whatever you have is just fine. :)

13. Northern Dancer

I'm sure there will be someone to help - if not, just think of it as pre-camp training. And you are very very wise to set it up in the backyard. How many a woe have I heard from people who set out with a tent they hadn't tested. Remember - the bag that the tent comes in is a packaging device. So don't hesitate to get a bit larger bag to make it easier for yourself. Oh, and something else - remember it is to be a fun thing.

14. 2sweed

Okay! thank you for answering that there question. I am all set in the camping department. Now I need free time. :)
    So you will be off very soon for your extending camping trip. It is to bad the park has no internet. will miss seeing you on the forum.

15. Northern Dancer

Thank you - I am planning to take a tonne of pictures and keep my journal up to date. I'm going to give the video thing a second crack and see how I fair. I was thinking this morning I've been biding my time since January and the trip is just a few days away. I...am....really....ready this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted