1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Big Savings on Camping Gear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by happyflowerlady, Jul 29, 2016.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I have discovered something that I just love, and want to share it with everyone. I am not sure if other countries can use this or not; but it is good for the United States, and probably Canada as well. We have Amazon Prime, and order a lot of items from Amazon, and I recently learned about becoming an Amazon reviewer. Basically, how it works is that the sellers will give you discounts (sometimes even FREE) for trying their product and then writing a review of the product on Amazon.

We have been getting all kinds of different products at a great discount, and saving a lot of money. I just ordered some specialty women's vitamins that normally sell for almost $40 per bottle, and got them for $3.95. There are discounts for all kinds of products from health supplements to household items, and the only requirement is to write a review after you use the item.

Some are really cheap, but there are some expensive things as well. I was just looking for polarized fishing sunglasses, and found some that were Italian and sold for over $300 usually, and were half price. Still way too much for me, but I did find a $4.95 pair that sells for $37 and will do just fine for what I need. If you are interested in checking this out, just search for "amazon reviewer" and you will find all sorts of websites where you can sign up for testing products.

Here is a good deal on a fishing pole that I just found.

image.jpeg

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That's interesting. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Interesting I will have to give that a try, did you end up purchasing the fishing rod? $16 for a rod seems really good even if it is not actually $300 to begin with. Are there any sites you can suggest and other ones you would suggest avoiding?

4. happyflowerlady

The one that I like the very best (and also where I found the fishing rod) is called AMZ Review Trader. How it works, is that the sellers need reviews for their products, and they list them with websites like the AMZ Trader one. Each item only comes with so many coupon codes; so you can't just go and buy everything you want, you ask to purchase and review a product, and then if you are one of the reviewers, they send you a special code to use when you purchase the item. You have probably seen the little box that says it is for any promotional codes when you were ordering from Amazon.

Once you get the discount code, then you purchase the product, try it out and write a review for it on Amazon. The more products you purchase and review, the more you are accepted to do reviews. This might not be something that everyone wants to do, but if you like writing, you can certainly save a lot of money by doing the reviews for products.

Here is the link for the one that I like best; but there are others if you look online for "amazon reviewer" and you will find sites that are set up for people to do this.

AMZ Review Trader - Amazon Review Group

campforums likes this.
  5. campforums

Thanks I may find this tip very useful for when I launch our reviews section.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  6. happyflowerlady

Are you going to be selling products from the forum, or just asking people to write a review about items they have purchased else where, or even from Amazon specifically?

I think that this is a great plan and I am looking forward to hearing more about it. While we don't exactly have reviews on here, I know that I have read posts that were basically a review of something that we have bought, or always use, for hiking or camping, and I can see where a review section would be a helpful addition.

Possibly, you could also get some of the sellers to list items on this site that people can get at a discount and then review, and then you would also make money for the reviews and purchases through Amazon.

7. campforums

It will be for reviewing products bought elsewhere, at least that is the plan for now.

I have noticed the same thing, it was part of my inspiration. I think we have a community with a lot of collective knowledge that could be useful in the review format.

This is possible but I think it might be difficult for a small forum like ours to get partners. If there are any sellers reading this feel free to reach out.

8. gracer

gracer Explorer

Wow! :) This is indeed a great way to save big on camping equipment and other stuff. I still haven't checked out the site yet whether the reviews are also available for my area but there's a high likelihood that they aren't. I'm still going to check it out though, hoping I could qualify. Thank you so much for sharing your new discovery with us. :)

9. camping

camping Newbie

While the deal which you mentioned is great but if you are not short on time, do take a look at the Chinese websites which ship worldwide. I personally get my camping gear from there and have got quite a few good deals as well. The only downside is that it make take up-to 30 days for it to reach you, so if you are buying in advance then this is one of the best options.

10. gracer

gracer Explorer

Thanks for that tip @camping! :) I'm actually from Asia but I have never tried looking into camping gears from China yet. I think I might as well try looking into them soon. I usually buy my stuff from local stores and they could really get much more expensive because most of them are also imported from other countries. Now that you mentioned buying in Chinese websites, I finally got another choice for my next camping gear purchase. :)

11. happyflowerlady

If you have an Amazon website that you can order from, then you can probably also find a review site that would work for you. My husband's brother works in the Netherlands, and he uses amazon.de for his orders; and I did notice that some of the reviewer sites also have the list of Amazon websites available to choose from, just like Amazon does.
    I also now receive notices from the sellers right in my email every day, offering me special items to test and review. We look through the emails and only choose things that we will actually use, and that the price makes it worth getting.

This week, my best deals were two nice collapsing fishing poles with spinning reels. Both were on Amazon for the $80-$90 price range (depending on the length of the fishing rod), and we got them for just at $20 each.
    By next month , the weather here should be cooling down just enough that we can go fishing early in the mornings. Right now, it has just been way too hot and muggy to even try it, even in the early morning.
    Right down the road from us about a mile, is a city park with a beautiful spring-filled lake and they keep it stocked for fishermen. As a senior, we do not even need a fishing license; so all we need to do is load up the fishing poles, dig some worms out of the garden, and then go see if we can catch some fish for dinner.

gracer likes this.
  12. gracer

gracer Explorer

Thank you for the suggestion @happyflowerlady. :) I can see that you are really enjoying a lot of discounts through your Amazon reviews. I'm going to try and see my luck soon. The $20 deal you got on your fishing poles are really great deals considering the original selling price. It is truly a good way to save on shopping for camping gears.

Draft saved Draft deleted