1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

BioLite CampStove Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by campforums, Dec 24, 2012.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I saw this article and I thought I should share it here. This looks like a pretty nifty new product, its a regular wood burning camp stove which uses the heat from the fire to generate electricity which can be used to charge gadgets.

The only thing is, I don't know if the power and current generated from the fire would be stable enough to be suitable for doing more than charging batteries.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-06/wood-burning-camp-stove-doubles-gadget-charger

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

That's pretty cool. These days having one more way to charge your cell phone or radio is a good idea. I would not want just one way though so I'd also add a small solar charger.

3. TABL

TABL Explorer

That is nifty!!!

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yeah, a solar charger is what I currently use. I just thought it was neat the way it converted the heat from the fire into electricity.

5. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

BioLite CampStove: Charges Your Phone and Warms Your Tush, By Burning Twigs

original.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5988305/biolite-campstove-charges-your-phone-and-warms-your-tush-by-burning-twigs

What do you think?

Personally, I feel like if I'm going camping, I really need to shut my phone off instead of using it. Most often, I don't have reception out in the woods anyway.

But I guess for someone who can't go without, this is a good splurge.

6. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

You have a good point my friend. Other than taking a cell phone for emergencies I think most of us would benefit from a technology "fast."

The reason I thought of it that way is that our church is promoting a 21 day fast and one thing the pastor mentioned was technology. THAT would be harder for me than less food!

7. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I live in the Pacific Northwest and if you go into the remote areas for camping you ain't gonna get a reception with your phone. Your better off with a Satellite phone in which you can rent them for camping. As for the biolite campstove it is a great device for recharging your electronics.

Draft saved Draft deleted