1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Boating with an infant?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Francy, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Francy

Francy Newbie

How many of you take your infants out on your boat? They have itty bitty little life vests for infants that they would of course need to wear, but I'm curious to see how many of you feel comfortable taking your baby on the boat?

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Having no children of my own this would seem to be a hard question, and yet even with life vests on it would make me nervous to have babies on board. If one fell over board it would not have the knowledge of keeping it's mouth closed or even rolling over on to it's back. Unless discovered right away a baby would have a greater chance of drowning and thus I feel babies should not be aloud on board until they are older and taught how to swim. :oops::eek::happy:

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

For me personally it would depend the size of the boat. If it were something samll like a kayak or a canoe then probably not but if it were a larger sized powerboat I don't see the problem. Like you said, they would still be wearing a life vest but it is just a matter of how likely it would be to need one. Also with a powerboat it would be much quicker to get back to shore if there is some kind of problem whereas with a canoe it might be a long paddle.

4. Francy

Francy Newbie

Agreed! Thanks for the input!

5. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Hmmm my baby is now 6 and a half month but I still haven't done anything like that since she was born. I love going somewhere with her, show her around as she loves being outside so much but we never went on boat yet.

To be honest I'm not confident on this one yet :(

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I simply can't see this as a good idea - I mean they make little life vests, but that's because sometimes you have to go on the water. It's like having an epipen - you use it because you have to. Also there is just way too much that could potentially go wrong - babies are really, really, really brilliant at murdering themselves given any chance. Also babies suck at not drowning....

7. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I wouldn't!

I have taken 2 year olds out on the water, but I really don't recommend it. Even if you have a life vest, that's not necessarily the biggest concern. What happens when the little one is sea sick and the entire time out turns into a miserable experience of a sick little one? This isn't pleasant for anyone involved and just seems unnecessary to even risk.

8. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

For me, another thing that worries me a lot is when a strong wind blows into my baby's face. It makes her so scared and panic.

9. Tiara Murphy

Tiara Murphy Newbie

I've been wondering this a lot. I would love to take my three year-old out in the kayak, but I just don't know how it would go. Any experiences with that??

10. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I think it really, really depends on the child, Tiara.

Some 3 years may listen great and be okay out on the water.

Other toddlers, though, could flip out at that point....and how are you going to handle a 3 year old throwing a tantrum or fit when you're out in the middle of a lake or river in a small kayak?

11. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

If I had a kid, I would make sure they know how to swim first.

12. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Good PFDs (Personal flotation devices) are designed so that you will float with your face up and out of the water even if you are unconscious (those are the ones with the neck supports). Not all of them are like this though so make sure to keep an eye out when you're next shopping for a life vest. A lot of people still opt for ones that do not keep your face out of the water because they are less bulky and more comfortable to wear. It is a trade off so you should consider the physical abilities of whoever is going to be wearing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted