1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Booking Camp...

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

You can wait until the 21st of June to think about summer in earnest; but for me, Sunday, March 10th [Daylight Savings Time] is the green flag to get summer things started.

upload_2019-2-17_21-56-4.jpeg

Because I tend to get away for two or three weeks at a time it is imperative that I book early in the season. For me, that is March 1st. To wait any longer minimizes my chance of getting a choice base camp site. Once the site is booked then I can plan for interior trips.

So...what is everyone else doing? What exciting plans do you have for a summer adventure?

IMG-1351.jpg

Camp Everton [Egypian Theme]

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

It's already been 5 months since I was last camping. I feel like I'm loosing my mind. I couldn't last till june. April 5 is when I have plans for my next camping trip. I found an Internet site that shows undeveloped land use areas on the local lakes here. This land is maintained by the Tennessee Valley Authority, which was created in the early 1900s to oversee the damming of the rivers, for flood control and power generation. I don't think there are any natural lakes in Tennessee except one that was created by an earthquake that backed the water up from the Mississippi River.

We have lots of rain predicted, every day, for the next 10 days. Depressing.

3. Northern Dancer

...I think I know how you feel killeroy154. To repress the Winter Blues I wander around aimlessly at one of the big outdoor stores checking out the goods. Every time I picked something up or spend a few minutes examing something that little voice would pop into my head. "You don't need it, you already have it; put it back!" But I sinned anyway. I purchased a couple of cans of fuel (which I can always use) and a new headlamp.

In this country, public lands are called Crown Land and are available free to citizens to camp on. There are some restrictions of course. The Ministry of Natural Resources in each Province provide guidance, including maps etc. I am familiar with the Tennessee Valley Authority - designed, at the time to relieve the economic issues during the depression.

No natural lakes in Tennessee? That's something that I wasn't aware of. Living in Ontario it is very hard to phantom. Ontario has 250,000 lakes to explore.

:bear: Baden Bear here..."Don't pay any attention to Northern Dancer - he can be a bit haughty on occasion - and sometimes he is oblivious to the same."

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I was mistaken, there is one natural lake that I know of. Reel foot lake is near the Mississippi River and was created from an earthquake, in 1811 or 1812, that made the Mississippi run backward. I've never been on that one.... bucket list.

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I didn't catch that. Egyptian Theme? I never thought about a camping theme. Interesting.

6. Northern Dancer

@killeroy154 the Egyptian theme was the annual Parish All Sections Scout Camp usually held at Everton. We usually have about 125 to 150 folks out that weekend.

IMG-1010.jpg

Spaceman motion night light to stop youth crashing into my guylines.

IMG-1011.jpg IMG-1012.jpg

Space theme a couple of years ago.

:bear: Baden Bear here. "Northern Dancer has never lost his "kiddish fun attitude".

7. Northern Dancer

IT'S BOOKED. The first serious fourteen days let's get outta town experience. :) More to come.

upload_2019-3-5_22-25-43.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXPOXF-hasv_0s4kUz6tQEksUJ4_nK1yLyKKGeCfq1Hf0E_vru.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNawBllzkg6JXEmDjKTRKIi7ESQ_rluYP613Hby1J9igCj1dci8Q.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE093I9pD_FZhicDpfyHwUZ1cJ4wjYiv8aNDTwUYf23liODi7F3w.jpg

The inventory has been marked, the food list is prepared, the new sign has been made and I'm itching to get going.

:beaver: Photos by Arrowhead Provincial Park

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Awesome! I look forward to hearing about it.

9. mr.seangill

mr.seangill Novice Camper

Trip update when applicable

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

10. Northern Dancer

So...how is everybody doing these days? Ichin for camp or what?

My second and third canoe/camping trip is now booked and hopefully, the last three will be registered by the end of April. I don't want to be thinking fall at this time - just summer. I muse myself these days with outdoor articles and checking out the sales; though I am determined not to purchase anything new...well..err...maybe just a few small things. I'm working on improving my outdoor cooking.

I don't normally take perishable foods on trips but I was reading an interesting idea that I have not seen before. What the guy did was to freeze [for example] pink salmon steaks. [I can hear them sizzling in the pan, wrapped in beer batter. - YUM!] After freezing the steaks in a sealed baggy he puts that into another baggie filled halfway with water and he freezes that. So the item is actually double frozen. He uses a standard cooler and places cardboard over the frozen items to give extra insulation when it is closed. I'm going to test this method and see how well it works.

Anyone else used the double freeze method?

waddingtons-67c86eb163eb90938af9deb33c13c575.jpg

An old sign
    now called
    Ministry of Natural Resources
    I sort of liked the old name
    Department of Lands and Forests

Draft saved Draft deleted