1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

BOOOOM!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The evening was particularly cool with a brisk autumn breeze testifying that the summer was over. You could hear it pass through the strong arms of the tall trees that surrounded my little site. I snuggled in a lounging chair as close as the wood stove would permit and watched the flames dance on the wall of my Alaknak. The day had been good I thought, as I slipped a classical music disc into the CD player. With eyelids heavy, I listened to the last tune, stoked the fire once more and laid down on my cot and nestled into my winter sleeping bag. It may have been the forest air or even the odour of the sweet burning pine, but whatever it was, it sent me into dreamland.

My immediate attention was severely arrested when like a crashing window sash my eyes sprang open to a gust of explosions. It was like I was in the midst of some military barrage and each detonation was getting closer to the intended target. The lightning lit up the skies and when it flashed it exposed my little tent frame like an x-ray showing a distorted image of a cartoon character.

Boom...BOOM...BOOM! There were spears cracking and crashing the air like a stunted mismatched firework display. The lighting made the tiny site change from the darkness of the night to daytime bright, but only momentarily, and I was in the middle of it all. Wide awake now I vividly saw a streak overhead and then I counted..one, two, three, four, five; BOOM! The rumbling would dart across the firmament like a stampede of a thousand mad Alberta bison. Then there was another flash and another boom and then another.

The powerful rain pounded my sheet like walls with a determined fury looking for some way to get inside. Had it been a gentle soothing rain I would have rolled over and fallen asleep comfortably contented. BOOM! But, not on this occasion. There were turbulent forces at work here and there would be no opportunity to rest let alone a peaceful sleep. The rain was so thick that it turned on my outside motion lights and gave my piece of ground a ghostly appearance.

It was a better part of an hour before the display finally played out. The booms were less frequent and the rumblings more distant. The rain, though still exercising muscle, had a calming effect on me. When the early morning sun finally arrived I saw the many wet leaves still clinging to the outside wall. Like some kind of infectious disease; it was spotted, uneven, varied and a tad grotesque. The water beads hooked up with one another an slid down the vinal window covers.

I'm afraid of storms. But it was over and there were things to do - like sleep soundly knowing that it had past and I was okay.

IMG_0388.jpg

Calm after a serve rainstorm at MacDonald Lake

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Rain is a spoiler when you are in a campsite and a storm or worse a thunderstorm will ruin my camping trip to the woods. I avoid planning a camping trip during the period from August to October but sometimes I couldn't help it when we get invited. Right now we are in a mountain resort but far from a campsite because the accommodation is complete with facilities.

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I always liked a mild storm when camping, but not as severe as the one you described. In April is usually when we get the worst ones here. After the hail, wind, heavy rains and tornados my brother and I had encountered in 2011, I have a new respect for what mother nature can throw at you.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I've always had respect for the storm. It seems to me there are a lot more of them of recent date. It concerns me how quickly the forecast can change and how vicious the patterns can become. I've never had to leave a site but I now rehearse what I should be doing should it happen. I still have the notion that things will be fine - but realistically that doesn't always happen. I've done some research on the topic and find a lot of the material is considerably lacking. I don't know what kind of experience these people have - but there is a lot of fluff and short on concrete ideas. The first thing I've learned is to vacate to safer territory and seek refuge. I'm talking about tripping not base camp stuff. When you are out in the boonies the book learnin isn't going to help you much any more than reading about first aid. You have to keep your wits about you and be decisive in your decision making.

Draft saved Draft deleted