1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Branded Giveaways

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by campforums, Mar 4, 2015.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I want to have made some Camping Babble branded giveaways and was wondering what the preferred item most people would want or could see themselves getting some use out of. Here are a few of the ones I had in mind:
    • Stickers (good for visibility, easy to display)
    • Magnets
    • Pens (you can never have too many pens!)
    • Business cards
    • Other suggestions?
    I would want to put on the site logo and perhaps a slogan of some sort. I am looking at the prices right now and I probably would just go with one to start which is why I'm asking for some feedback first.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

--- stickers for car and canoe, totem, here and there - sounds good. Other organizations are high on stickers and membership cards.
    --- pens - you can never have too many.
    --- I'll think about other stuff and get back to you.

3. campforums

I was leaning towards stickers as well, probably some nice large ones

Pens I just thought of as I was sitting at my desk

4. Northern Dancer

:peeking:

I like crests or as our American Cousins would say - patches. Whether you select a sticker or a patch - you are going to have to design something. Let me see now...a contest?

5. campforums

Yeah the design was another thing... For stickers I thought that the logo on a green gradient similar to the site's header would look good but I don't think that would be suitable for a patch/crest. I hadn't even thought of doing a patch/crest but that would be much more camping oriented. :) Do you know any good places to get crests made from?

A quick search turned up this site (which is in Toronto also so that is convenient). The cost would probably be a couple hundred for their minimum order.

http://www.stitchylizard.com/_about/embroidery_Patches.html

6. Northern Dancer

:)

It really doesn't make any difference today - most come from other jurisdictions. Computer stuff and all that.

Scouts Canada uses Zone West www.zonewest.ca They do crests, pins, direct embroidery etc. - sublimated, woven, and embroidered. I believe they will assist and even do the crest for you. They are head quartered in B.C.

There is also emblemtek [emblemtek.com or info@emblemtek.com] I understand they have fast delivery, low prices, quality service, extremely low minimums - so they say.

Most sites will have samples of their work plus a price list etc.

7. campforums

Yeah I was just thinking that with a Toronto store I could go in person to see. But I guess you are right that it does not matter.

Do you have experience ordering from either of those yourself and if so what did you give them to work with? It seems like I would need to get a quote from both of them to compare their pricing.

8. Northern Dancer

:thumbsup:

I'm going by memory now and things may have changed. It's what you want. For example if you are looking at something multi coloured or an intricate design of some sort sophistication it would probably cost you more. It may depend on the number of colours, threads,and such. When you view the site it will give you an idea what it is all about. Though I have never ordered directly I know groups that have. Some of crests were really excellent and I didn't think that costly.

If you are looking at cost the better idea would be somewhere in the middle. We don't need expensive and if it is to cheap people will not wear them.
    Often an extra run will bring the overall cost of the crest down - it all depends on how many you want to keep in stock.

Probably best to check them out and get some ideas; that way you will have a sense of direction.

9. campforums

What do you think? IMO it would probably end up being 4-5 colors. A green and gray for the logo text, a black outline and a green for the background at least.

You're right that if it is too crappy people won't want to use them, that's why I want to do this right. If it is too expensive I might just go with stickers for now and maybe revisit the crest/patch idea at another time.

Thanks for your info, I will post back here after I have gotten a quote and more info from some shops

10. Northern Dancer

:)

I found that people in the industry are helpful - ask for suggestions - they will happily comply. Good luck - I think it is an innovative idea.

campforums likes this.
  11. campforums

Thanks, I will definitely do that

Anyone else is welcome to chime in if they wish also :)

12. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

13. Northern Dancer

:thumbsup:

That's an interesting thought. It is my custom to make some kind of totem for the entrance to my base camp. The one I have now has some signage from the organizations I belong to.

actadh likes this.
  14. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Stickers are good too. I do something like your totem, Northern Dancer. I use a whiteboard and put various camping stickers from other forums I subscribe to such as IRV2.com and from some of my hobbies like the Ukulele Underground forum.

These stickers often come from sponsoring a forum, which is a reasonable request from this forum, too, to have Supporter category with a sticker perk on sign up.

Other places have a Cafe Press type of online store where one can buy items associated with the forum.

campforums and Northern Dancer like this.
  15. campforums

That is a good idea, probably something in the future I should think about as the demand increases. But right now I don't expect too many people would be interested because of our smallish size. Also I am not sure I'd be comfortable charging people for something when I don't know how it will come out since it is my first time having something like this done up. You should be happy to know that the first round at least will be free of charge :p

16. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I think stickers to start with and then embroidered crest/patches would be great too. Another idea is caps with a embroidered patch on the front. I just got one such free cap from another new forum and now have a new nice cap for summer. Caps could be a moneymaker. I know I would be very happy to wear one that advertised this forum.
    Of course pens or key chains, etc.. are good ideas as well.

campforums likes this.
  17. campforums

Thanks for the feedback, it is good to hear what other forums or sites in general have done as well. Hats or T-shirts are something I'd probably have to charge for seeing as they are a lot more costly to produce, especially given that if they are too crappy in quality nobody would wear them.

I hadn't even thought of keychains, that is a great idea as well. But right now I am leaning towards the patches even if they are a bit most costly that stickers I think they are perfect because they also capture the theme of the website in addition to just being something with a logo. I will have to get in touch with @BMWPOWER to see his thoughts on our budget and whatnot.

18. campforums

@Northern Dancer, so here is the development on the Camping Babble crests. I am hoping to get them by the end of July/early August.

Here is a mockup I got back from the company that is going to make them. What do you think? The shaped edges maybe look a little nicer, but I imagine the rectangular ones would be easier to attack to things. I am also going to ask for a green background like the site header instead of white.

unnamed.jpg

19. Northern Dancer

Option 2 grabbed my attention immediately - probably because I'm a neat freak. I thought the second one would be easier to sew on.

Camping Babble?

International? World Wide? Where Campers Meet?

I was thinking that Camping Babble standing alone looks lonely and might not convey a message. Does that make any sense?

I don't know if this is being helpful.

BUT I do like what I see. :)

campforums likes this.
  20. campforums

Here's another update for you...

unnamed.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted