1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Buck 857 El Morro Knife (USA)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by FootPathOne, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

@FootPathOne, we have a lot we could talk about, maybe not so appropriate for this forum. I'm sorry things go the way they do sometimes, especially when good people are sacrificed. Yes indeed, a lot could be said.

Bibsoutdoors

FootPathOne likes this.
  2. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

I agree!

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

What kind of knot did you use to tie the end of that little finger loop?

Bibsoutdoors

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

My experience with the Grylls Knife has been positive. It does what the manufacturers said that it would do. I wasn't interested in the little whistle or the survival instructions that came with it. It does have a knife sharpener attached, the fire starter is fine and the blade is sharp. I've used it to cut down small trees, cut up wood for the fire place. When I do wear in into the wilderness I have my own whistle attached and a glow tab so I can immediately find it in the dark.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL3qpaEWhIchxLe9-xV1iZaksB4hQ36VTxqajDZzxiRb1OhzfTqA.jpg You can convert it into a spear. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaYXpdEcE1FUnBnlkFudtLy9w-iJh9Oe1rUnVEyDNxTz3771gY.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpIe8vJbP0Yb72OHu8T7HjLb4vnB_nJEEwEfjqacGYSImiPI2-.jpg The base is a hammer

FootPathOne likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

It's like any piece of equipment - it's what we are use to and like the most. Though these last few years I find myself comparing more and more; looking elsewhere for something better and always looking for a sale in anything I purchase.

It's stunningly amazing what one can purchase today. Name it - solar power and communication systems, synthetic materials right out of space, canoes weighing a feather, protective clothing that you have to check yourself to make sure you are wearing something. From snow shoes to running shoes there has been a revolution in every part of the outdoor industry. All waiting to be purchased from the likes of us. :dead:

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  6. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

The Knife Knot.jpg

A little "over then under" is working for me so far - I've had this type come undone at some point in the past with other gear.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  7. Northern Dancer

Those of us in Scouting will recognize this one too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgfoQEZ-Flh_tIUTooRKu3EINWbp6zHiGWmXKDXijdJ7KIaWvTCQ.jpg

Bibsoutdoors and FootPathOne like this.
  8. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

Perfect! I too am a believer in using one tool for multiple applications, so it is good to read that the BG knife allows for several tasks. Plus, I'm going to borrow your idea about the glow tab, especially if I need to reach for the knife immediately at night while in my hammock or tent. Fumbling adds nano seconds to time that you may not have :)

9. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

You just listed the reason why I frequently go back to reading the book by Horace Kephart: "The Book of Camping & Woodcraft" (keeps me grounded - no pun intended - and real). We have to admit one thing. Marketing is a powerful industry. I'm content with my fixed income because it curtails the rapid growth of useless stuff :)

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  10. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

5b4c044e171e15a12a755a8ea1e9c923.jpg Fine loop complete. Another Camping Babble success story. Thanks for this 'little' great tip.

Bibsoutdoors

FootPathOne likes this.
  11. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Is that the monkeys fist? I thought about that one. I'll eventually change the color to black para cord, that will be the time to try this knot.

Bibsoutdoors

FootPathOne likes this.
  12. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Finger not fine.

Bibsoutdoors

FootPathOne likes this.
  13. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

Oooh yeah! The thing-a-ma-gig, do-hicky, whatch-ya-call-it! Lost mine years ago :)

14. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

YIKES!

Bibsoutdoors

FootPathOne likes this.
  15. Northern Dancer

----->

A shot of flashlight will keep them bright all night. I also use them on my tent zippers, especially on the inside.

upload_2017-3-25_14-23-46.jpeg
    Manufactured by MSR. And because I'm forever falling over my guy-lines at night I use these too >
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlvIJcnCzqu0TxtAxu2gD1FezJgUrXCasgqRBnntki3wBWIhCsag.jpg They reflect flashlights very well. :)

FootPathOne likes this.
  16. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

Niiice! It's even color coordinated, wow! The loop helps if your hand is wider than the handle, plus prevents the sharpy thing from becoming a projectile, whose owner can guard against the puncturing of body parts on self or others.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  17. FootPathOne

FootPathOne Pathfinder

REI?! Here I come tonight :)

18. Northern Dancer

-----> :peeking:
    Personally I found them a tad expensive. But they really do work. I have one on my hatchet - great for night time when it's fallen to the ground. Stay away from the battery operated ones. Why? because you need to buy batteries - an added expense that is not necessary.

FootPathOne likes this.
  19. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Nice collection you've got there, Benchmade makes great knives. I have a Benchmade 710 and a couple of Spydercos that I really love.

FootPathOne likes this.
  20. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I just took a look at the Benchmade 710, I like that blade, I find them extremely beneficial and helpful. They don't give those away either do they! Nice thing about that knife, it's more than just a camping knife. 1bac55f063e47f8c1b6d232b880e6d9a.jpg mine is getting pretty beat up but it's like a Timex, takes a beating and keeps on slicing and dicing.

Bibsoutdoors

FootPathOne likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted