1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Buy any equipment recently?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I'm sort of interested in learning what kinds of equipment you may have purchased recently.

For me it was a canoe tripping tent, new sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and a new down filled winter camping coat - all on sale of course. :) Speaking of sales there sure are a lot of them these days.

Back in Algonquin at the end of the month to try that new sleeping bag.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I can't say that I have purchased anything of late. I do need a few things, and one thing is a down blanket. I don't like being confined in a sleeping bag. Another item is a head lamp. Yes another one, I already have a few, but I just can't get enough of them. There's always something better.

I don't know what my problem is, cause when it comes to home repairs, vehicle maintenance or repairs, or even a needed wood working tool, it doesn't bother me to drop money on these things, but when it comes to camping stuff....... I just can't seem to squeeze those bucks out for it. Sad ain't it? Maybe there is a 3 step program out there somewhere that can help me feel great for purchasing the little extra camping things that I desire and long for. Why shouldn't I have a dozen head lamps, 5 sleeping bags, 6 camping chairs, 3 camp tables, 4 camp stoves.... oh sorry. I'm getting the shakes. It's about lunch time. I think I'll go out and play with the headlamp I have in my glove box, maybe shine it in the windows here at work or something. I need help.

3. Northern Dancer

...that's sort of embarrassing - you are describing me! But what the heck - some have a social life and the rest of us go camping. :)

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh no. Not picking you @Northern Dancer. I could use a little less of society, tv and work. Yes, fall is in the air.

5. Northern Dancer

...thank you.

:bear: Baden Bear here, "You should ask Northern Dancer about his research on the Steel Camp Stove." "I think he is planning to replace his old hot tent stove for a new one." "I tell you - this guy never stops."

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yeh I seen some nice ones that are made out of titanium. Price is a little more than the average sleeping bag, but they look really great! Shaving a few extra pounds or kilos can make all those other creature comforts that much more sweeter when your sledding in your camp.

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I recently bought a set of camp dishware and some camping cutler along with a new tarp.

8. Northern Dancer

@campforums - that's the kinda list that I need - simple. But somehow I get entangle in purchasing the expensive stuff. And don't you know that the manufacturers keep coming up with new stuff all the time just to tempt me. ...hope you are enjoying the current atmosphere.

I have an unusual circumstance the requires me to have three different sets of equipment for three events that happen from Friday 22nd of September to Tuesday October 3rd. I'm out with a group from Scouts Canada camping and immediately I head north for Algonquin to set a base camp and then we are into the interior and then back to base camp.
    The experience requires three different tents. I have all that is necessary.

9. The most recent camping thing I bought was a Eureka Sunriver 2 tent for backpacking. Apparently it has been discontinued so it was on sale. Northern Dancer would be proud of me! Anyway, nice tent, big enough for me and it works great. Used it on a 3 night trip around the Wild Rogue Wilderness. Here's the video review:

and the rest of the story is at:
    Sunriver 2 Tent by Eureka - Review - Check out the story, photos and see the video.

Northern Dancer and killeroy154 like this.
  10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@ExplorePathfinder thanks for video. I like the full rain fly. Under a hundred bucks isn't bad either.

11. katskamper

katskamper Novice Camper

0e61bdf469937983c6cd89d95be1a328.jpg

for glamping & powerfailures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Northern Dancer

-----> That is what I used for my three week stint in Algonquin [base camp]. Cooked/baked a lot of great meals.

IMG_1091.jpg

13. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@Northern Dancer I forgot to ask you what was written on your table under the cook stove / oven? b7a9def167ca22002c5c0d04fd98ddcc.jpg

14. Faust

Faust Explorer

Got a Coleman stove, cookware and queen size air mattress but those are for music festivals.

I bought a Buck Selkirk knife but I refuse to use it. I had not realized it's 420HC steel, the Micarta scales where loose out of the box, the bolster and pommel are welded on so you can see a hairline gap all the way around the tang and cheek meaning the weld did not penetrate deep enough so it is the exact low ass quality you'd expect from a knife mass produced in China.
    It was an impulse buy, I was memorized from the sheath as it can be configured either vertically or horizontally and in the horizontal position it drops down enough that a hip belt on a rucksack would not interfere..

I got a new Fly fishing rod and a bit of tackle for my spin casting rod.

15. Northern Dancer

...maddening isn't it? The top of the line is sometimes the bottom of the barrel. Ya I've done that - impulsed bought. And with always, regret.

16. Northern Dancer

killeroy154 likes this.
  17. Northern Dancer

...so -what is on my list for 2018?

Another Primus Lantern.
    Will be building a portable platform
    for my tent at base camp to keep it off the ground.

A tripping chair for the camp site
    and not much more.

I'm in the throws of reducing my inventory
    and being cautious of new purchases.

upload_2018-3-1_10-15-10.jpeg

I've gots it all!

18. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

So, mr. I've gots it all, what kind of tripping chair ya looking for? I've got one of the small helinox chairs. It does pack small and sits fairly well, but the feet will sink in soft soil. So whats you looking at?

19. Northern Dancer

...I gave my Helinox chair to a canoeing friend. Thinking to myself, at the time, that I wanted to buy a chair a tad bigger but still light. So after some research I came up with this one ----->

Therm-A-Rest has created the Treo chair which folds up into a pod as small as a thermos.

upload_2018-3-1_22-40-18.jpeg

Just two pounds and 11 inches tall when folded away inside its tripod legs. When deployed the chair can support someone up to 300 pounds in weight. The seat is also elevated about thirteen-inches off the ground so it’s easy to climb in and out of. This is just the right instrument for tripping. There is nothing better to actually sit in a chair when you gather around a campfire - mighty fine on the back.

20. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Good looking chair. I do struggle a little getting out of my Helinox chair. It sits a little low, or maybe I'm just to fat.

Draft saved Draft deleted