1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Buy any equipment recently?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...blatantly honest! :) I bought the new chair....just because. Just because I wanted to; not that I needed it. I just wanted it. It's part of my comfort equipment - like my sleeping pad, coffee peculator, tripping cot and the like.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Buying camping stuff is an addiction. You do understand that, right?

3. Northern Dancer

-----> Yah, I do know that. "But gee...Dad - I just wanna have fun." I did decide not to purchase another paddle for the canoe. I'm going to redecorate one I already have.

killeroy154 likes this.
  4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I bought a rechargeable lamp that is solar. It would be handy for camping especially if the trip is for several days. But when I tested the solar charger, it was very disappointing because the charging of 1 hour lasted only for a few seconds of battery power.

5. Northern Dancer

upload_2018-5-20_16-38-49.jpeg This device still works for me. It provides excellent lighting inside the tent or outside if you want. It also provides power for my DVD's so I can watch movies during a rainy day. It can do other things too.

This is a goal zero escape 150 - that is no longer made. BUT - they make a lot of other stuff.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I did get some new iodine tablets that I am curious about and looking forward to trying out. It is nothing really new but they are a little different then the ones I usually get so we shall see. I am at that point where I have all my trust things so I do not need to buy too much new stuff, which is nice.

7. Evan

Evan Novice Camper

Hey, new here but thought I'd chime in with a couple of cool tech camping stoves I bought this summer for some camping trips.

maxresdefault.jpg

Campstove 2
    Super tiny and compact and has been great when backpacking.

and
    Biolite_stove_1.jpg

BaseCamp
    Great size for car camping trips and a good sized BBQ. (Also got the version with a pizza stone that works surprisingly well)

They both have batteries that charge off the fire while BBQing and have been great for keeping phones charged on camping trips.

killeroy154 likes this.
  8. Northern Dancer

...great to see you online @Evan! Jump in anytime and don't hold back. That's a nifty piece of equipment you have there. I continue to be amazed at the creative genius of the camping mind. :)

9. Evan

Evan Novice Camper

Solar chargers can be really tricky, I've found some of the bigger folding ones work well because you can have the different part of the panels on different angles to best catch sun and they still don't take up too much room.

10. Northern Dancer

...I continue to hang with Goal Zero but I'm also aware of the many new possibilities. I drool when I take in the camp shows and feast my eyes on all the delectable items one can purchase.

11. Evan

Evan Novice Camper

I've been wanting to get some of the Goal Zero stuff as they seem like an awesome company and great gear to have hanging around for camping or for power outages.

I've also been looking at this as my next piece of camping tech.

IMG_0203_TEST_2048x2048.jpg

It's called the WaterLily. Wind and Water charging next :D Pretty much looking to be able to harness all the elements while camping!

Northern Dancer likes this.
  12. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Pardon me for saying that camping nowadays are truly dependent on the equipment. I am not blaming the camper because it is only normal for them to avail of modern equipment that can make the camping more convenient and worthwhile. Lighting is also my concern especially when you go on a camping trip with kids because they experience nightmare from the dark night. I am still testing the solar charger that is an alternative way of charging the emergency lamp.

13. Northern Dancer

-----> WOW - that's something brand new to me; here I thought I was the guru of the latest stuff.

14. Evan

Evan Novice Camper

I'd be fine camping without my latest equipment, but for me it helps enhance the experience so I don't see the need to go without it. I went on a canoe trip in mid August for a couple days and didn't bring any of the gadgets mentioned in my previous posts and enjoyed the trip just as well, but when they don't cause any additional hassle to bring them (i.e. car camping) I'll definitely opt to have them. It's difficult to decide what you decide is the high-tech equipment. Things like a Swiss army knife or even small fire starter aids could be considered modern camping equipment.

Alexandoy and Northern Dancer like this.
  15. Northern Dancer

@Evan - I'm with you. I'm at a point that I simply select the kind\type of equipment that I need\want for whatever. And, like you when I'm in base camp I do just about anything my widdo heart desires. I tend to be a solo camper so I don't have any critics with me.

IMG_0788.jpg

killeroy154 likes this.
  16. Evan

Evan Novice Camper

Oh wow, that's definitely a big setup. I like going with a smaller tent for sleeping and then I have one of the screened in areas I'll setup near by. My girlfriend and I like to have the screened in area for meals or playing cards etc.

Also just heard of this thing that is next up on the list of luxury camping items...
    The handspresso, allows you to manually pump the proper pressure for a espresso on the go and seems like it's well liked.
    Handpresso HPWILDHYBRIDGREY Wild Hybrid Espresso Machine, Silver: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

You also mentioned you have some Goal Zero gear. What equipment of theirs do you have? I've looked at their stuff a couple times, but haven't pulled any triggers.

17. Northern Dancer

...trust everything is great in your camp Evan.

The first thing to keep in mind always is to compare prices. The second thing to do is never purchase anything unless it's on sale. At least - these are my guidelines. Goal Zero is online and many of the big outdoor stores carry their brand. I only have the one piece [pictured at the beginning of his this thread] and don't plan to purchase anything else at this time.

In regards to base camp remember I'm resident for two or three weeks at a time. Going into the interior on a canoe trip is a different matter and my equipment is carefully selected. I tend to take in three or four nights and head back to base. Though my Prospector Extra Light Kevlar canoe can take approximately 700 pounds I have no intention of being a coureur des bois.

I'm fortunate my career choice permits me the opportunity to take blocks of time away.

Here is another one of my rules, [I needed to come up with a plan to curb my spending]. How often will I use this? When and where do I intend to use this? How much do I want to spend and is it really worth it? Saved a lot of bucks and embarrassment.

IMG_1251.jpg

This is my lightweight Outback Lodge tent I use for Tripping.
    IMG_1252.jpg IMG_1273.jpg

18. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That's a fancy looking coffee contraption Evan. I love a good stout cup of coffee. I bought this personal press a few years back and I love it. [​IMG]

I broke my Squish collapsible dish pan the other week, I was being stupid with it. I will be getting another. [​IMG]

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted