1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Buying Used Camping Equipement

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by campforums, Oct 16, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Does anyone ever buy used camping equipment? I was recently browsing Kijiji and Craigslist for some things and saw they had some great deals on camping equipment but the thing is that with a lot of these things I imagine that they can take a lot of damage from regular use. Not to mention, spills or odors. Does anyone here have positive or negative experiences with buying used equipment that they would like to share?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

You have really got me going this evening with all the interesting threads posted. I'm trying not to hog the scene.

I tend to buy new. BUT - there are some really good exchange programs like our local MEC. I'm fortunate to be with Scouts Canada and we have exchange programs from time to time that eliminate the possibility of wrecked used equipment AND the prices are really excellent too.

3. Northern Dancer

Speaking of buying used equipment - I noticed today that at our local Value Village store there were several sleeping bags, a goodly number of tents and other camp paraphernalia on sale at a remarkably low prices. This is the time of year people clear their garages. It is also the time for many of the larger camp stores to have summer clearance sales.

Alas all I need at the moment is wool socks and a bigger toboggan to cart my stuff for winter camp. :(

4. campforums

Go ahead and hog it all you like ;)

I see, well I would never buy anything used without first giving it a good look-over first. But having someone else prescreen the items first helps having to sort through a bunch of junk.

Clearance sales can be CRAZY cheap, sometimes if you shop the sales you can get new for the price of used or less.

5. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

I am honestly hesitant to buy things used...especially from sites like Craigslist where there really isn't as much protecting you as a buyer if the quality is worse than described. I suppose there could be a few exceptions but overall I would probably stick with either buying my camping equipment new or perhaps buying from or trading with people that I know well. If I know the items are in good condition (and no scary questionable odors or anything, lol) I'm willing to consider it.

6. Northern Dancer

I'm much the same way but on occasion I really do find a deal but I have to be able to exam the same. You have to know your stuff, ALSO I belong to an exchange group of sorts. We can exchange equipment of similar value; much like a skate exchange.

7. campforums

Always a valid concern to have which is why I always examine anything I buy used before completing the transaction. I have found that most people on Craigslist or Kijiji are more than understanding when it comes to letting you take a good look at the item before you head your separate ways. For me what it comes down to when making the decision of whether or not to buy used is how big the price difference is between the used and the new item. Some things it is worth the hassle, others... Not so much.

8. Northern Dancer

Agreed - it's like driving across town to save a cent on gas. Sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle.

Draft saved Draft deleted