1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camp cooking

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by killeroy154, May 20, 2016.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Does anyone else struggle with cooking chores? I thought I had everything planned out nicely untill we pulled up on an island for lunch. Then it's getting everything together so we could cook a lunch, and cooking with out the conveniences of table and counter tops. f7ff23b7b0b150d8617ea94a1b315811.jpg .

Don't laugh at the suspenders either... hard to keep britches up when your shaped like Mr. Potato Head.

So many wonderful places
    So little time

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Do you always go without any cutting surface? I usually bring along with me a plastic cutting board, it is pretty light and small so even if you are canoeing or backpacking it doesn't add too much extra weight, but I guess it would depend your preference.

Something like this:

1283654729765_hz-myalibaba-temp14_3796.JPG

happyflowerlady likes this.
  3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have one of those. I forgot it though, and it's more of a challenge not to slice a finger.
    I seen a canoe thwart bag that Granite Gear has that has a cutting board in the bottom for support. I couldn't imagine dumping all my stuff out to get to it, but it is a great idea. I even thought about making a thwart bag with an added zippered pocket on the bottom, so I can unzip it, slide cutting board out and return it when I'm done with out messing up contents in bag. What you think?

So many wonderful places
    So little time

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

@killerroy154 - dunno, but it's looking mighty good from this side of the lake. How bout a sample? [or at least the ingredients?] I do bring a table and a chair similar to what you have. Really like the hat and I wouldn't mind having the t shirt too. :thumbsup:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_J6zJtsWdYjfdztuFXIBWoOc9CfP3X7ZxzGnbse90KIqNYBq2.jpg
    This is my fold up table that I bring along - compact and light weight. Made by GSI - Outdoors. It was a smart buy. I've appreciated the convenience and stability it brings after the number of spills I've endured.

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@Northern Dancer - thanks for info on the table I'll check that out. I have a cloth one that I took, but don't really want it near open flame, hot stuff or sharp objects. The shirt I got from Paddling.net site. I like canoes because you don't need a launch ramp, can be hauled on most any vehicle, drinks no fuel (like my old bass boat 2miles/gallon, or 3.2 kilo/3.8 liters.), their quiet, and if you can see the water you can get there.

@campforums -thanks again for the cutting board idea. I am seriously thinking to make the thwart bag with cutting board in bottom, like the one I saw. The cutting boards can be cut to shape, so that is an advantage. I need to draw and make a pattern, and work out the pros and cons of either buying one (about 60 US dollars) or making one. It would be tailored to what I like.

And besides, real men make their own stuff.

(Camp_aholic) Uncontrollable shaking when not camping.

campforums likes this.
  6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I had never though of that but you are right, if you find one that doesn't quite fit in your back I imagine it would be pretty easy to cut it down to size and smooth out the edges with a file.

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...surprisingly I've never had the urge to purchase any motor boat - the thought has always left me cold. Nothing like canoeing down a river at your own leisure, listening to water swirl as you dip the paddle into the drink. No smell of gas either. Occasionally you come to an eddy and gently glide atop the water. More than enough you come across a deer or a moose or turtles all lined up on a log soaking up the sun. Frequently you catch a Great Blue Heron who didn't see or hear you come around the bend.

Took the canoe down today to get it ready for my annual excursions.

Draft saved Draft deleted