1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camp "FeArS" --------->

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

IMG_0134.jpg

Hi all!
    Darren here...
    and today I am interviewing Northern Dancer
    to learn more about his camp fears.
    "I understand you just got back from a solo canoe trip into Red Pine Lake Dancer?"

"I had a great trip with the usual challenges and fun stuff that one might expect on a canoe trip."

"Today I want to ask you about your camping fears."

"Sure...ask anything you want Darren."

"What are you afraid of most?" "Bears?"

"No, I'm not afraid of black bears." "I've had them come through camp; magnificent creatures, they are fascinating as they are regal and fun to watch." "I would recommend not trying to shake a bear's paw though." "I had a skunk come near in the early hours of an evening on one occasion." "It was just a little bit worrisome to my ego." "I sat in my chair frozen and didn't bat an eyelash." "My coffee turned cold as I waited very patiently for this lovable little creature to be on his way." "I had a moose less than fifteen feet away from my tent door just sauntering on through."

"How about people, are you afraid others doing you harm?"

"Not at all, people are people and true they can be obnoxious, arrogant, inconsiderate and possibly dangerous, but I've never had any trouble." "In fact I find most camping people generous, helpful and fun loving."

"So...you really don't have any fears when you are out camping?"

"Not exactly!"
    "Weather patterns are by far my greatest fear." "When I was travelling down the Kennisis River the wind became suddenly violent making it necessary to do some water portages that I really didn't want to do." "I just couldn't get around the bend because gusts of wind would turn my canoe around." "I found myself manoeuvring through muck and mire and sometimes up to my knees in it." "I looked up and saw in the distance black ugly clouds and then witnessed a sudden crack of lighting crashing into the water." "I figured I had less than fifteen minutes before the tempest caught up to me." "I struggled to get onto dry land, tie my canoe to a tree, sit down and put up my umbrella." "No sooner had I done that when the storm was all around me." "I was right in the middle of thunder, lightning, and sheets of heavy rain that burled my vision." "My umbrella blew out and I turned it into the howling wind and it blew it back in again." "It took me fifteen minutes to sponge up the water in the canoe left by the downpour."

"My greatest fear is weather that changes constantly, often unpredictable and without warning." "I suggest that all campers read up on interpreting weather conditions and learn how to take precautions to protect themselves and their equipment."

"Thanks Northern Dancer for sharing your insight with Camping Babble."

"You are welcome!"

"There you have it folks - keep an eye on the weather."

upload_2016-6-23_17-36-6.jpeg
    What are your fears?

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. I agree with Northern Dancer. Weather can be dangerous. If caught in a lightning storm in the forest, don't get under the biggest tree. That's often the tallest one as well - guess which tree the lightning will choose to hit. Usually like Northern Dancer, it's the wind. If trees start blowing down, all you can do is try to get under a rock or big, down tree.

I've never had a problem with wildlife, although I do wonder what a bear - even a black bear - might do while I'm asleep in the tent. For that reason, I've started carrying bear spray. If one tears open the tent and doesn't respond to my screams, I'll use it, but I'm not going out looking for trouble.

Skunks are so common around here I don't give them a second thought. One got into the chicken coop and up into the hutch area. I used a hose to get him out. He kept pointing his weapon at me and I kept hitting it with cold water. He finally decided to leave without firing. That incident would have been fun to watch, although not likely to happen while camping.

Grizzly bears are fearsome, but it's more a matter of being respectful of them than being afraid of them. Travel in groups, make noise, carry bear spray - generally do the boy scout thing and be prepared.

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted