1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camp fire cream cones and easy smores...

Discussion in 'Food' started by Northern Dancer, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

:) If you haven't tried these...

CAMP FIRE CREAM *CONES for six
    * I found the flat bottom cones to be the best (but...go ahead and experiment)

1/4 Cup * milk chocolate chips
    * or caramel chips (or a mixture of both)
    1/4 Cup * mini marshmallows
    * or coloured mini marshmallows
    6 12x12 inch square heavy aluminium foil

Directions

Layer ingredients in cones
    Wrap tightly in foil,
    Cook 3 to 5 minutes over hot coals OR in a skillet turning over for even baking
    Unwrap your creation
    Enjoy

MORE SMORES PLEASE individual

1 Meticulously baked succulent marshmallow - white or coloured
    2 Chocolate covered cookies small, large or *huge from any reliable or well known bakery
    * use two marshmallows
    Remember you can bake your own cookies - so much better when Mom does it.

Directions

Simply slide your goodie in between the chocolate covered cookies
    Squeeze gently to fill the space evenly
    Smile
    Open mouth
    Consume

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thank you, it is nice to have some more desserts here as an option :D

At first I read the title as ice cream I don't know why

3. Northern Dancer

Probably because I use ice cream cones.

4. campforums

Probably.... it sounds like the method the use to fill the bottom of the cone with chocolate in those ice cream cones you can buy at convenience stores.

5. Northern Dancer

Probably.

On a different note - how are you? I'm so prepared for summer that I'm starting to repeat the planning I've already done.

6. campforums

I'm doing well and I hope you are too. Although I'm probably just as sick of this weather as you are at this point, I haven't really done any planning. Mostly because I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to be doing this summer or what my schedule will be like. I definitely want to go out a few times though since I didn't get to go last year.

7. Northern Dancer

BIG OUCH! Not getting out on the land and water would be a bit devastating for me. Naw...it would be a whole lot devastating :meh: I live and breathe this stuff so much so that I have to curb my enthusiasm as not to be a boring to my colleagues. I suppose that was part of the motivation in becoming a member of campingBabble. [I like that word babble - it could be an adjective to describe some of my conversation.]

Refresh my memory - are you completing your degree this year? [Or are you at the stage where you have to work, work, work?]

8. campforums

Haha, that is too bad that they don't share your interest. Who do you normally go camping with?

Yes, just a few more months and then I am finished. So there is some uncertainty of what I'm going to be doing in the next few months

9. Northern Dancer

So...exam time in April?

I have a small group of friends who are zany enough to put up with my antics, a Scouts Canada Group [Venturers ages 14-18] and then since I also crave a tad of seclusion and a sense of isolation - just me and my dog. I always set up a base camp as I mentioned; so I have two complete equipment packages. One is for base camp and the other is for whatever - tripping, touring etc. Some colleagues have the audacity to call my site the taj mahal - I say they are jealous.

10. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I am jealous, your out there with all the right equipment and a beautiful dog to keep you company and bring home to you the smells of the skunk. Your teaching and camping with Scouts and like mined friends. Sounds like the great (American or Canadian), dream. Of course their jealous, we are all jealous. LOL You have got it made with the best of both worlds and I can tell your just itching for Spring to arrive.
    Today was the first day of Spring. We got more snow and cold weather and slick roads. Had my first slide of the season, but made it through thanks to by little Suburu. I had slowed for a downhill in slush and just as I lightly touched my brakes my tires hit ice and it was like having no brakes at all. Around a curve I went too fast, but hit dry pavement on the other side, and alas, I had brakes once more, as I pulled into my driveway. :chicken::chicken:

11. Northern Dancer

Sounds like you had a bit of a close call there and I'm happy that everything turned out well. This has been an absolutely terrible winter for accidents and there has been a lot of sadness on the roads. We can't afford, nor do we want to, lose a camping "babbler ". There just isn't enough of us :bear:.

You don't have to be jealous - in due time - if this is the stuff you love [and I do] you get around to accomplishing what you need to do. I laugh at myself when I think of how I use to camp - try a tarp, May Two - Four weekend, [Canadian National Holiday - Queen Victoria - thanks your Majesty] ill equipped, pouring rain, exhausted from a long trip, tired and everything that could go wrong going wrong. Every mosquito in Algonquin Park came to feast on my buddy and I that night. He was so ticked off he didn't talk to me until returned to the car to go home; and we never again canoed together. [Coward:grumpy:]

One time, I had a part time job on top of my full time job [just for a short time] and I used all the money that I earned to purchase - you guessed it, camp equipment. I wouldn't do that again :dead: but it sure did get me off the ground so to speak :)

I need to say also, that I have other areas of my life that are rich and rewarding and I wouldn't want people to think I'm fanatic about camping - but..I...err...suppose...I might be a bit :(.

12. 2sweed

Yes, the close call was compounded by the fact my next door neighbors house is on that turn and if someone would have been coming the other way I would not have been able to avoid them and we might both of ended up hitting the house. But checked out the brakes today and all is well and roads are bare.
    I am not really jealous of you, sometimes my sense of humor gets the best of me in reading the last several posts. I am not so sure I would have been happy under your tarp in a pouring rainstorm with mosquito's biting either, but would have gone back to camping with you in a better tent. :hilarious:

I am not really jealous of you, sometimes my sense of humor gets the best of me in reading the last several posts. I am not so sure I would have been happy under your tarp in a pouring rainstorm with mosquito's biting either, but would have gone back to camping with you in a better tent. :)

Glad to hear other areas of your life are as you say rich and rewarding, but truthfully camping babble needs all the fanatic's it can get. :)

13. Northern Dancer

Thank you! I find the babble fun - it provides a forum for sure but also and opportunity to hear other peoples experiences and fun times. You can talk about camping and related stuff anytime and all the time. It kinda keeps things fresh and interesting. I've learned some new things too - an added bonus.

I've booked five weeks straight in the Forest this summer. There will be some short canoe trips planned at the end of the month with friends and our silly suggested meal plan for 2014 is just about complete.

I hope you are able to get away and that somehow your finances will allow you to purchase the tent you want and need. Good camping really begins with good shelter whatever that might be.

Occasionally I've been really lucky and have managed to pick up a tent at Value Village - one of my favourite stores. Like I need another tent. I do pass it on to friends and colleagues who might need one. [I only buy the best.]

14. 2sweed

Okay, you got my attention, what is on the silly suggested meal plan? Sounds like that might be fun providing it is not gross. I hope to get some time away this summer to at least do some over night camping with my friends. But caring for my mom makes it hard when there is no one to watch over her. But one can always hope. :)
    I will keep you updated on my search and purchase of a tent.

15. Northern Dancer

"Our Silly Meal Plan" came out of our discussions about..."So...what are we going to eat?" We would spend endless hours and a lot of energy hammering out a menu that somehow looked much the same as last years. So now we just put it all together [usually during the winter], try the ideas out and then put them into a booklet form. Nothing astounding - just ideas so we don't have to re-invent the wheel each time. [We usually do much the same year after year anyway.] I'll send you a sheet of the same tomorrow ...err...I mean later on today.

Taking care of moms and dads can be really difficult and hard on the spirit. In our jurisdiction we have respite programs of different kinds under the Ministry of Health and Long Term care. Sometimes short term residency, in house care and visiting home makers are offered. I know it can be difficult to take care of a loved one and there is always the possibility of undue stress. I also know what it means to be a caregiver.

16. 2sweed

Look forward to seeing your menu plan. And yes, care giving of parents can be very hard, and a thankless job sometimes, but it can be rewarding as well. I lived out of this state for over 25 years, down in Florida, and rarely got to see my mom. So while caring for here now is hard and stressful, as yet she still knows me and it has given us time to know each other again and I know she is happy and safe. The time may come when I can't care for her, but for now I am loving every minute of it and trying to be very very patient and understanding, even on the days things don't go well. :)

17. Northern Dancer

That's nice to know - bless you!

I posted one page of our menu plan on another thread. I'll post more if you like.

18. 2sweed

I like your menu plan and I am sure other camper's here on site, as well as, all our guests would enjoy having a few new recipes to try when camping. they are simple to make and I would say very yummy! Even a bear might agree. :bear: Thanks for sharing. :)

19. Northern Dancer

You are welcome...let me know if clarification is needed. Some of the ideas are known by the group. We are still in the throws of completing one more page.

20. 2sweed

Maybe you should publish a booklet for your group of all the recipes you have used, I am sure they would all love it. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted