1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camp Wendake Fire prep....

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

This is what I call a CAMP fire!
    It will burn for 45 minutes without assistance.

camp_wendake_campfire.jpg

Our opening campfire this year featured the
    Friendship Stick and when
    we get pictures of that one I'll display it.

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Nice, how did you get it started. It looks pretty light on tinder

But yeah those thick logs should burn nicely :D

3. Northern Dancer

...what the public can't see is the super dry kindling with fire starter in the middle of the structure. One match does the trick.

This year [still waiting for colleagues to send me pictures as I did not take any] I did a friendship fire. All 130 participants - staff and campers had a Friendship Stick that they exchange with another. Our campers come from several communities and it is a way of introducing one's self. They did this twice. At the time they would give their first name and where they were from. Then each would deposit their friendship stick into the centre of the log cabin structure that had a small flame already burning. The fire burned for the whole ceremony and continued burning until day break. Sensational. I wrote a story of the origin of the Friendship Stick.

Next year, the plan is to have the Cloud and Flame fire. I luvs this stuff.

happyflowerlady and campforums like this.
  4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That sounds like a really fun tradition, the friendship fire :)

I suppose if you had a smaller group you would have to alter it. Instead of each getting a friendship stick, they would get a friendship log :rolleyes:

Northern Dancer likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

...what it looks like when set ablaze.

wendake_aglow.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted