1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camper??

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Francy, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Francy

Francy Newbie

We have been looking for a camper for quite some time. We've never owned one before, and have heard that you don't know what you're missing until you own one. Then you find all of the things you wish you had. I am honestly not picky. In fact, I would just be thankful to own one. However, I'm still interested in the expert camper advice out there, and to see what I should be looking for.

What brand, model and year should we stick with? We want something that's going to last. We have a newborn and would like to keep him warm and sheltered. I know that we need an all weather type camper because we hunt, snowmobile and love to camp in the summer time. Any suggestions would be so much appreciated. Like I said before, we've looked at old and brand new campers. They can get very expensive! We'd like a used one that is inexpensive!

Also, has any every used the camping world website. There are many campers on there, just not sure how far we want to travel to get them. We live in Wyoming! We've been particularly looking at fifth wheel campers because I've heard they're easier to maneuver. Thanks for the input in advance!

2. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

From what I know and have heard is that winnebago's are the most reliable campers. But again im no expert.

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I am not expert either but I never used or been in a camper. Why am I so out of touch LOL? I wish I could see the different camp sites I am just not much of a mountain climber so being street pizza is not on my list LOL.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Hi there -

The great thing about the computer is that we have a handy instrument to use in exploring possibilities. You might want to key in: Camper Trailers or Recreational Vehicles or something similar. READ...READ...the consumers reports that are not printed by the manufacturer.

I suppose the standard questions apply. How much do you want to spend? How often will you use it to justify the expense? What kind of features do you want?

There are numerous camping clubs for RVers that bring you into contact with like minded people. I have a friend that is a member of a club and he has been all over the United States and Canada with his RV buddies.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION

You might want to rent one and give it a try. You can learn a lot by doing that and it really helps you to sort out what you like and don't like.

Good luck. :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I like the computer for it being able to help with navigation like the GPS device. Having one of those is reliable more than anything.

6. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Hi Francy-

I went with a small 14ft camper. It is very easy to maneuver into campsites and it gives us enough room for a bed and an inside kitchen and bath. No slide outs, no fancy anything, but it is perfect for us. Ours is a Dutchmen, but Coleman (also a Thor Industry product) now makes the same unit.

We can go self contained with stored water, propane, and battery power for about three days without needing a generator. That is about all the time we have to go camping, but other models certainly can be found where one can go off the grid for longer time frames.

When we are in regular campgrounds such as state parks, we are often one of the smallest rigs. Fifth wheels are wonderful, but we would have had to upgrade our tow vehicle and for our needs it did not make sense to do that. We can easily pull our 14ft. with a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi motor - this is our everyday truck as well.

My favorite travel trailer website is IRV2.com Lots of good advice there on purchasing decisions.

Good luck on your search for a travel trailer for your family. Be sure to consider who will be doing the service after the sale. We bought from a local mom and pop operation and they have been super on the maintenance and upkeep.

814RB floorplan.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  7. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I'm in the market for a camper and, from having bought two nightmare campers in the past, I'm convinced that an all fiberglass camper is the way to go. The stick frame campers are too prone to leaks. Leaks cause damage that's difficult, meaning expensive and/or time consuming to repair. Fiberglass trailers are also typically lighter and easier to tow. The down side is that they're more expensive to begin with. I regularly take a look at FiberglassRV.com to see what's available in my area.

Draft saved Draft deleted