1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping but weather not cooperating.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by killeroy154, Apr 7, 2017.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Well, we planned this camping trip over a month ago. The weather up until yesterday, when we arrived, was ideal. Rain most of day yesterday while running across lake to our island, and then 11 mph winds all night and rest of today. Wow are the stars beautiful! e1105308f727eb03cced868b5fd9f87c.jpg 20170406_173033.jpg we have an island to ourselves, and are setup on a peninsula. It is truly a great area. Me happy.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wasn't sure if I could send pictures. Here's a few more 20170406_173022.jpg 20170406_172944.jpg 20170406_173007.jpg

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Windy this morning and 36 degrees. 7d211444e559ee823a48ce6214e251a7.jpg ddf3477809babe576f24974de4bfdb57.jpg It's 2 pm now. Pretty day d2b2d2c2ec4b827f301877166e82b4ba.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

We have cactus here on this island??? 22434325901d6abacd4984ec159b45b6.jpg caught a nice catfish 9d5f6087c6253c71c01e85e20e38f308.jpg The winds have calmed and now nice fire 498878270aaebde358ac3d66f336df20.jpg

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Brrr cold this morning. Time to get up. Maybe if I wait long enough my brother will get the coffee going. b4eb89463cb102c4d52fce121f1c5c0d.jpg

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

It was a nice sun rise e0e5569bacd238d3dcad747ac347d34c.jpg 6d044d5126a41fa10e90de675b5da552.jpg We fished till 2 in the afternoon then packed it up. The weather wasn't ideal when we got there. Heavy winds and some rain. Put the tent up in the wind was challenging. The rain fly beat against the tent most all night, and sometimes we questioned whether we should've came at all. The last 2 days were very clear with blue bird skies. It was still a little cooler than it had been. We had great time anyhow.

Madman4800 likes this.
  7. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

Great pics killeroy. I'm gealous. My first outing isn't until the first weekend of May. I'm trying to get something in before then.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thank you @Madman4800. We wondered if it was worth it on our first night. The wind was very fierce. I would guess we had gusts over 20mph. We had to modify the rain fly so the wind wouldn't get under it. The small cedar trees were a blessing because the could handle the wind. Conditions improved greatly the 2 days after and we didn't want to leave.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

This reminds me of our family camping in a mountain resort. We came ready with tents and cooking implements. It was a great afternoon when we arrived and we had a nice dinner by the camp fire. At around 8 pm, we were already preparing for bedtime. And then the winds came followed by the rains. It was one hell of a problem not because we got wet, that’s beside the point, but the strong winds sounded scary as if it was singing a tune. Fortunately the rain was not that heavy although we got wet anyway. What I did was to pull my wife and stayed in the car. Our companions stayed in their tents and suffered from lack of sleep.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

This is just something that I have really gotten used to over the years. Even if the forecast calls for perfection and nothing but, I still can see something going wrong and it normally does so I just go ahead and prepare for it anyways. It has backfired, but that seems to be rare.

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yeh mother nature has a problem with me for some reason. There was one trip where it rained for 2 days straight. My rain fly started leaking. It wasn't pouring in but it was a steady drip. I hate to admit this, but I had 2 umbrellas in my camping tote and one in a storage compartment in my boat. I strategically placed them inside the tent over me so I could stay dry. I remember a family camping trip with oldest brother and his wife. It rained all night and the old canvas tent leaked like a sieve. Everything was soaked and she hated it, I didn't blame her, I don't think she's been since then and that's been about 34 years ago. My wife says she went when she was in the girl scouts somewhere here in the Appalachian mountains. She said it was a beautiful day when they hiked in, and they cooked over an open fire and all that stuff. The temperature started dropping as darkness set in. It was unexpected and they were ill prepared. Before morning most were getting sick (I figured it was one those things @Northern Dancer always harps on about food prep and cleanliness ) and it was snowing. Someone went for help, and a local farmer made it up the mountain trails with a small tractor and narrow trailer to get them out. A bad experience can turn some people away for camping enjoyment.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  12. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I remember the days that I wasn't well equipped or knowledgeable but was determined to enjoy myself anyway. In the old days I called it "program"; whatever happened was designed that way. Things have changed considerably and I have excellent paraphernalia and I haven't suffered any soaking experience in years. :)

I can be a bit haughty and smug knowing that I will do better than most. Though I've learned to be considerate of other campers and legitimately helpful when I can. I even instruct the stuff from time to time.

13. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I wasn't well prepared, educated or equipped, but I was younger and tougher than a box of rocks. Well maybe I was dumber than a box of rocks

14. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

----->
    Ya?

Well when I was younger I was tougher than a rolling bolder. Well maybe I was more brainless than a cactus plant.

But then again...we did some marvellous stuff too didn't we? Once I learned there was more to camping than porcupine pie everything was A...okay!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfh9b-bmLHO2GesJqzi-SszYjdhHQBfMZEsBgz6uTcDsU5iHf7.png I is better prepared now!

15. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Killeroy, what a fantastic trip. Anyways sitting here reading about it makes me yearn to be there. When you're not actually out there living it, it is great to be able to sit back and read about it, there can never be enough details shared. Nice pictures. Nice fish, I hope it made it into a frying pan. Catfish was one of the first fish I've ever eaten...not that large of course, but it was a catfish! The photo of the point and lake behind it (6th picture) looks soooo inviting, almost calls out to set up a bivy sack and enjoy!

Draft saved Draft deleted