1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Essentials

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Panda©, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Panda©

Panda© Newbie

If you’re new to camping and live in mortal fear of turning up at some remote campsite having forgotten a vital item of equipment, then panic no more. Aside from a tent, sleeping bag and mat, spare clothes (including waterproofs) and toiletries, these are the essentials to pop in your rucksack:

Cooking equipment (stove, fuel, lighter, pan, cutlery, mug, bowl)
    Food (couscous is brilliant – avoid tins and anything ambitious)
    Tea bags (it’s not camping otherwise)
    Tools (Swiss Army knife, head torch, map and compass)
    Frisbee (entertainment and plate rolled into one)
    Milk powder (great when far from supplies of fresh milk)
    Loo roll (handy emergency pillow, among other uses)
    Water bottle
    Basic first aid kit

Camping is about being free and easy, so try not to pack the kitchen sink

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I always add a length of parachute cord. Great for all kinds of things including hanging you food up off the ground. Good idea also to bring some water purification tablets or straws in case you run out of water and have to drink what is around. As well, you should have three ways of making fire.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I never usually bring powdered milk (I can't stand the taste) but I will usually bring some Whey protein powder along if I don't have milk.

And a Frisbee only works if you are camping in area with large open areas, but its a good idea instead of a ball because its flat an easy to pack.

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I tend to hike so I pack for weight and space as much as need:
    1 - Custom First Aid Kit (includes water purification tablets as well as iodine)
    2 - Custom Fire making kit
    3 - Fishing hooks and wire for traps
    4 - A tarp (can act as a tent, a poncho of sort, a tool for transport, a rain catcher, etc.)
    5 - A hammock or sleeping bag (depends on the circumstances)
    6 - Custom Mess Kit (stainless steel bowl, spoon, fork, and cup)
    7 - Machete
    8 - Rifle (sometimes)
    9 - Cell (emergency)
    10 - Digital camera

Those are the basics and I can (do) add to it as needed.

5. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

^^^ That's a very good list! I see that several of your items are classified as "custom", does that mean you put toghether something yourself geared directly towards your needs or was it from experience in using standard items that turned out to be "less" than adequate?

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Maybe you could post some pictures of your gear? That would be really cool :D

7. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I think on camping essentials that will depend on the individual. I also believe on what kind of environment and time of year you'll be camping at as another factor to consider. You also have to consider as the proper clothing as part of your camping essentials as well.

8. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have a thread that talks about this very same thing in choosing the equipment and necessary gear to have on the trail. I noticed that R. Zimm, mentioned parachute cord. Until I started watching video's on camping and backpacking I wouldn't have thought it necessary, but have found some real uses in fastening up tarps and seats, making a string support bed between trees and hanging your food pack up out of harms way. It helps with hammocks and even as a simple clothes line. Watching video's can give you ideas to use and share in ways you might not even think about on your own.

9. Lita11

Lita11 Newbie

Go to "business insider" site and then search camping essentials. Useful information is available there.

Draft saved Draft deleted