1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping in Germany

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Saul Goodman, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Hey mates,
    I live in Germany and i was camping here often, so i got a tip for you.
    The best camping trip i ever had was in the Rheingau, the Rheingau is a sunny landscape with an extension of 38 kmts it is between the german city's Wiesbaden and Lorchhausen. The People living there, are all for wine, the most common "wine, dont know how to write it!" is the Riesling. I loved camping here, because the landscape is beautiful and the Rhein (a big german riven which ends in the North sea!) is right in the middle, you can sit on top of one of the two cliffs and look down to the Rhein and just calm down and relax, the view is amazing.
    panorama-rheingau-21cde5c1-79c7-4369-bbea-6c4afb18bb05.jpg
    I have a picture from me on one of the highest spots in the Rheingau, i found it on a trip, I had to climb some meters and I was so high above the river, poor thing.. I dont find that picture anymore.. dont know where it is. But this should show you a bit of the wine area, if you'd go to the right now, the wine area would stop and you'd find the tall cliffs! Its a really nice landscape and I think everybody who is interested in Camping should go here! and there is even a myth, in the middle of the Rheingau there is a big edge on the cliffs, shipmens said there would sit a woman on the edge, her name was Loreley, people said she had been a mermaid. Originally a 19th century legend, she had long golden hair and pulled the sailors with her singing . It was dark, so the ships could not see the cliffs and got wrecked! A good story ;-)
    Thats everything i gotta tell you! Have a great day! greetings from Germany.
    Noah

Northern Dancer likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Wow, that is a phenomenal photo. I know that when I am looking for a camping site, I always prefer to be near a river. Even more so than a lake because I find it more fun to swim in rivers and also you don't have to worry as much about what is growing in the water if it is fast moving.

I am not sure what word you are searching for... the name of the specific wine or drink you mean?

I hope you find your picture, for your own sake as well as mine (so we can see it haha) because it sounds like it took some effort to take and I always hate losing travel mementos.

3. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

well yeah hehe, i put some effort in it to climb .. but i think I'll find it if i find the time to search! :).

PS: i was looking for the word wine hehe ;-) just forgot how to spell it

4. campforums

Ah okay, well you had it correct :) Your English is a lot better than my German haha

Saul Goodman likes this.
  5. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Maybe ;-), but there's no need to learn German, english is a way better language.

6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

English is considered to be a bastard language - even the English can't master it. Go ahead...ask me how I know.

Actually you do very well. True, English is the language of trade which makes it predominate.

Anyway...enough of that stuff. Here are some questions for you...

We have Provincial and National Park systems - what does Germany have and could you describe one for us. Perhaps there is a web site we look up.

7. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Oh thats some great question you got there and a good point is, that i life almost right next to one of the biggest "National Park" in Germany. Its also a World Cultural Heritage, its in Kassel. I have been there 3 or 4 times and its pretty amazing. There is no cost to enter it, the main attraction is 5-10 Kilometers from the entrance away, its one of the biggest statures in the world, its Hercules. look at this: a9527dc238de94bfe588ccf1b5442241.jpg
    Hercules is right on front, you can see people chilling under the waterfalls, there are some rooms under this "mountain". You are able to take very great pictures there, its a pretty big area!

787141113-390625612-muell-chaos-wasserspiele-besuchermassen-bergpark-h434-1qFRHu3VucFJ.jpg . ma21987_270.jpg
    the picture of the left shows, whats going on if the watergames are on, you might ask "what for watergames??" I'll tell you, theres a stair which goes from the foot of the mountain till it reaches Hercules, and on 2 days of the week, theres water coming from the top of the mountain and it streams down the stairs!
    urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-140526-99-01549-large-4-3.jpg
    And the last thing i'm able to show you, the park is not only the hercules and the stairs, around the Mountain and the castles which are build there is some really really big forrest with great plants and animals, not like a zoo, more like a well... real forrest :).

PS: some friends and me once started an off-rave in the gardens of the park, we could party like 2 hours, then the police came and we had to move away veeery fast, good thing, no one got caught :p..

thats it, i hope you enjoyed it! :)

8. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I did enjoy that - and when you get time tell us more about other spots that you have frequented - it is really interesting.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  9. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

If i find the time, I definitly will!

10. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

How about this camping experience in the German Alps. Seems a bit cold and remote. A very different experience for sure. A favorite of winter campers, hey we have a few of those, what do you think @Northern Dancer & @MacGyver ???? :cool::rolleyes::playful:

Iglu_46x31mm_rgb_01-1024x682.jpg

11. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Buy me a ticket and I'm there.

campforums likes this.
  12. campforums

There are some cracks in your igloo!!

I remember making those in the winter when there was lots of snow when I was a kid

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted