1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping in the Winter

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Jason76, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Novice Camper

This might sound insane, but does anyone camp in the winter? How would someone go about it? Anyhow, I'm sure some people camp in the winter cause certain people hunt during the winter. Of course, whatever shelter they use would need to be much thicker than usual and also other gear like sleeping bags etc.

By the way, I'm referring to camping in temperate or subarctic climates, of course.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

As I had posted in another thread, we were in a camping area the other weekend but we decided to not stay overnight because of the cold weather. We live in a tropical country and temperature dipping below 20 Centigrade is already freezing to us. The ideal camping season is during summer where the weather at night is just fine. Cold weather is very uncomfortable for me even if we bring a comforter.

3. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

I was camping in the Winter, in the highest mountain in Portugal, Serra da Estrela. Sure, it's not too high, about 2 km high, and we were about 1 mile high. So it was crazy because I was unprepared, I was freezing, it was raining, and the next day I took the train back home. It was a terrible experience!!!

4. I'm not much for winter camping for about the same reasons as @to7update. People do it and enjoy it so I made a blog post you can read here:
    Winter Camping | EXPLORE! Blog
    There are a couple of videos where you can see that this fellow uses a tarp - not even a three season tent.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I winter camp - I have to - because I wouldn't be able to boast that I'm a four season camper. :)

It is like every other outdoor activity. You need to have the right equipment for the right circumstance and the necessary skills to take part in this kind of camping.

alaknak_in_the_snow.jpg "No place like a winter home!"

So as to the advice you were asking...

Have the right equipment meaning -
    shelter, clothing, boots, gloves etc.
    Dressing in layers is always recommended
    and do not wear jean or jean like clothing - not a good idea.
    Know were you are going and how to signal for help if need be.
    Though I have winter camped alone - it's best to have someone with you.
    When purchasing a *tent it should be four season.
    It can be any size to suit your need.
    I use an Alaknak because I can use a wood burning stove.
    [And a cot, with a mattress.]
    I use a sled to get my equipment into the forest.
    Some will use snowmobiles etc.
    Have a good sleeping bag - four season of course.
    Or, you could put two three season bags together to give you the insulation you need.
    Sometimes an insert will do just as well.
    A winter ground pad.
    And food? Stuff freezes so you have to plan accordingly.
    Lots of energy stuff is good.
    Shovel, snow shoes or similar foot wear.
    * tent - some people will use a lean-to, Adirondack, or even a cabin - it's your choice.

:thumbsup: ASK ME A SPECIFIC QUESTION

upload_2017-1-23_14-32-5.jpeg

6. LAbradford

LAbradford Newbie

I camped in the winter once, and it was miserable. Make sure you have the proper sleeping bag (extra thick) a space heater, and plenty of firewood.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...welcome again @LAbradford! I guess miserable says it all. :dead:

I remember once that it poured rain for the three days we were out - yep - that was miserable. But for the most part my experiences have been positive. You are right when you talk about sleeping bags and such. Most people don't enjoy winter camping because it's just too costly in terms of having the right equipment. Summer or summer like weather is the attractive. I do all seasons because I can. :)

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Welcome @LAbradford. I have been camping a few times in the winter. I pack heavy bedding stuff if I go when it's cold out. I have had a couple of bad trips freezing my tail end off because I wasn't prepared. I don't have the expensive high end sleeping bags like the ones you can shove in a potato chip bag with a subzero degree rating. I can squeeze my 0 degree bag in its original stuff sack, but it does take effort and muscle. One day while loading my bag in the boat, my brother asked if I was planing to feed some cattle with the wrapped round bale of hay.

9. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

My wife and I love winter camping. . .hardly anyone else out there. . .my fear is you are asking a very broad and general question. Each thing Northern Dancer brings up needs deep consideration.There are many variables that need to be ironed out first. Example; clothing - what and how to wear it. Shelter - how many of the four seasons will you use it and will it be on your back, car, pulk, snowmobile, horse ect.. Water - how much will you need, any sources where you will be at, how to keep it from freezing and what to do if it does freeze. Food. . .You get the idea. Temperatures you expect to be out in and what temps you might face in reality. This is a great forum to start asking specific questions on and working through all the complications. Best of luck to you! In the end just let me say, winter camping is worth all the effort!

Bibsoutdoors

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted