1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping on the Water??

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Saul Goodman, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Hey there,
    I wanted to ask, if somebody of you ever camped on the water? is this even possible?
    thanks for your attention!

Sincerly:
    Saul Goodman

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Hi Saul -

I camped on a platform that jutted out into the water once. It was really a challenge at the time. I must admit that I woke up several times during the night :eek: and was expecting the guys to cut the rope and let me drift down the river. :)

I feel safer by the water and not on it. Keeping in mind all the safety rules and such.

Glad to see you on line. ND

kvl6x.jpg This is what happens when you don't take into account water flows.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

The other option is camping on a boat, although I am not really sure if you could consider that camping. Just anchoring your boat out in the middle of a lake somewhere and staying out there for the night is not something I have ever done but I imagine the gentle rocking of the water would be quite soothing as you sleep.

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Well Saul it depends on what you mean by "camping". Because you can use a boat, a raft, set up a covering over a canoe or kayak, or create a very complicated setup involving stilts and a tent. The first two things probably wouldn't count as camping to most people, and the second grouping is rather dangerous and unnecessary. The final idea is something I've done before, but only because the area I was in was basically water delusional enough to think it's ground. And I had assistance, because I'm was not entirely stupid enough to think I could make the expedition by myself.

5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

That person did not do the proper check LOL he is on the water and does not even realize it. Keep the tents away from the water that is what you are supposed to do. If it were raining he would have been in deeper trouble.

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

1. Your avatar looks like the kid from Lab Rats and/or his big brother from Everybody Hates Chris. Cool.

2. I think what happened in that picture is that it did end up rain and now his tents are trying to float away. It happens. It's very, very important to check everything - because looks are in fact deceiving.

7. Northern Dancer

That's why I check the ground [and look up to check for dead branches and the like] before setting up. I've never camped on or near a dry river bed either - I'm well aware of what can happen.

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Usually this is when you check your surroundings first then go camp. I am surprised that this guy did not end up drowning. This stuff does happen but people should be able to check.

9. Northern Dancer

Your right, people should check, but they don't. We call dead branches overhead - widow makers. Every year someone gets killed by a falling branch or tree. I have to admit when I started camping seriously there were a lot of things that I didn't think about. Like drinking water from the lake - because it looked okay.

Good to see you on line - how are you doin?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I am good Northern Dancer I have just got done eating dinner which I had french fries with scrambled eggs. I don't think people really check things just to be honest. How are you doing this fine night Northern Dancer?

11. Northern Dancer

I sometimes I get that impression too - when you think our membership is nearing three hundred.

I'm doing well and thinking about my next adventure - one week Sunday. Among my camping activities I am a member of our Care Team for Camp Wendake [we are on line] - the only HIV/AIDS camp of its kind in Canada. I call it camping with a purpose. We have a week long camp situated on a site near Lake Huron for ninety-five campers.

After that - I'm hoping to get one week in Algonquin Park before my regular routine begins.

How about you? What are you doing these days?

12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

So you are Canadian that's cool I never been to Canada. So how long have you been with Care Team for Camp Wendake? ninety-five campers that is pretty impressive to have go camping with.

13. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

sleeping in that tent would be creepy, at the back of your mind you be thinking it might float away all the time.

14. Northern Dancer

I haven't had those thoughts but when the storms rage I have trouble sleeping. You can't hear anything but the crashing, thrashing, and turbulent waves and the howling of he wind. I think I'm more concerned about being blown away more than anything else. We usually get one storm off the lake.

15. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I don't think that those tents are intended to be in the middle of a pond like that. The disturbed look of the guy standing beside it makes me think that what happened was they went into their tents the night before and there was a rainstorm which flooded the entire area (but not enough to completely submerge everything). Otherwise I couldn't imagine how the tent would stay afloat with however many people it can fit unless it has some kind of rigid bottom like a floating dock.

16. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I would too get creep out if I had been sleeping in a tent that is floating across the water. It does sound funny a tent floating on the river like a boat and someone is sleeping in it.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted