1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping phone applications.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bibsoutdoors, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

How about it, do you use a camping app installed on your phone to help you get ready to get out there?

Bibsoutdoors

2. StefwithanF

StefwithanF Newbie

There is an app for that?? Now I need to find it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

When will they make an app to pack my gear. Oh ya, that's why I have kids.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I was too poor to be a scout in my younger days so knot tying was something I never learned. Even though I have half a dozen I've since learned and use there are times when I need a knot I don't know how to tie. I downloaded a 3D knot tying app that lets me slow down, speed up, turn around and you can even have it show you backwards how to make the knot. It comes with many preloaded knots to choose from.

I also downloaded the "Ultimate List." This app lets you use any of a zillion lists or you can make your own. So I modified the backpacking, camping, hiking lists to fit my needs. Now I never have to forget anything again. I can pack it, check it off the list. It tells me how many items are in the list, how many items I've checked and how many I've left to check. You can make any part of the list as detailed and complicated as you wish.

Bibsoutdoors

5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Bahhaaaaa

Bibsoutdoors

6. katskamper

katskamper Novice Camper

compass, altimiter, reservation app, star walk, groggs knots, animal id, first aid.
    i dont have the listmaker app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

The one thing that immediately jumps into my mind is having a good map application. Those are pretty common of course, but if there was one that was meant for trails and things like that it would be great. I bet it already exists so I am curious to see what is out there, and thanks for the list above.

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Something like this where you can zoom in on the terrain cff02b53bf454a8cc3623c096285c7d3.jpg That would be cool for planning a trip, but paper maps don't need batteries.

9. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I have recently down loaded two apps one of witch is called Field trip. It alerts you when you are near historical places, art museums and several other things. I have also downloaded pack king. Its an app that you can create personalized packing list. I will be using them at the end of the month for a trip to Mille Lacs Kathio State Park. I will let you know how they worked upon my return or if I have service I will do it from the park

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  10. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Field Trip.... his sounds like a good one, I'm going to look at it also.

Just for fun, cheek out an app called "Ultimate Checklist" compare it with the one you have and see how you like it in comparison. It comes with multitudes of pre-installed lists, if you don't like them or want to modify one you like, you can.

11. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

@Madman4800

I just came from looking at Field Trip. The app looks amazing, awesome actually, but I have a couple of concerns, will you put my mind at ease?

Easy one first, location (gps) runs at all times in the background, how is your phones battery life with this on all the time?

Now the not so easy one, it requires five different permissions, most of them are extremely invasive. How do you personally deal with that? I don't mind them recording my phone number, but WHY the phone number of the person I'm calling, why do they collect their information? Why does it need access to ALL of my memory INCLUDING all external storage locations?? Doesn't that seem EXTREMELY invasive to you. That's like me demanding from you credit card numbers and pins if you want to use the bathroom in my house! It just doesn't make sense to me. So any help allaying these fears would be very greatly appreciated by little Ole paranoid me. Thanks!

Madman4800 likes this.
  12. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

Not sure about the battery life but I always have a solar charger.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  13. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I used to stress about my information but if someone wants your information they will get it. I always monitor my credit and information so I know when something looks wrong. I also use IDShield to watch as well.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  14. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Yeah, I'm sure I sound like a paranoid dumb ass, it's just I don't know anymore. When a hacker in India can sit at his desk and tell what the pin number is when you access your bank account, with extremely high probability because of the way you hold your cellphone and type, that frightens me. By the way I hold my cell phone or tablet and type on it!! Things have gotten too out of control. I understand damage control, I have options for that as well, but just because I have a pile of spare lumber or access to an entire lumber yard doesn't mean I want to let some kid burn down my barn. I'm really not trying to be a pain in the ass, really I'm not. BUT BEING ABLE TO GET MY PIN NUMBERS BY THE WAY I HOLD MY PHONE AND TYPE ON IT.....REALLY.....HOW IN THE HELL CAN THEY TELL HOW I'M HOLDING MY PHONE????? SERIOUSLY HOW CAN THEY DO THAT?

So my point I guess is I feel apprehension giving away information or allowing information to be taken with out my deliberate express permission each and every time.

I don't know anymore, maybe I should get my hands on some crazy pills and take a few. Oh, P.S., this isn't an attack on you or anything like that, I'm just venting hoping for a reasonable answer that I know isn't out there.

Like I said the second go round, the app and what it does is awesome! Imagine walking along and all of a sudden your phone dings and there is a bubble filled with information OR EVEN BETTER your Bluetooth head set starts talking to you about some thing you said you want to know about as you get close to the thing! I do love it!

Madman4800 likes this.
  15. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I understand how you feel and I sure don't feel like you're attacking me. When you use your keyless entry on your car there could be someone in the parking lot on a computer using it to open your car as you walk into a store. Someone could Walk by you with a scanner and swipe your credit card info with out even touching you. This is a huge down side to all the technology we have at our finger tips. There is to much to worry about today you could have a nervous brake down. What about going to the airport or a popular destination. You never know when a bomb is going to go off or some idiot is going to start shooting at people because he got canned from a job they hated anyway. Unfortunately I feel like life these days are more reactivate than proactive. I take precaution but I don't worry myself to much.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  16. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I hear every word you say, and I appreciate them. I wonder if that's why I enjoy getting away from 'people' when ever I can? Awe shucks that's not true either, I've liked getting away to go camping long before the techno boom. I'll be waiting to hear how that Field Trip app performed for you, if it's what they claim, I'll give it another look.

I hope you get service (phone) at the park, I will be looking forward to hearing about your travels. Take plenty of pictures to share if you'd be so good!

Madman4800 likes this.
  17. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I look forward to sharing my findings and getting away from all the crazy people technology or not.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  18. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Baahhaaaaaaaa!! I don't know why I'm laughing so hard.....my name is all over that statement.....Baahhaaaaaaaa!

Madman4800 likes this.
  19. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That app does sound interesting, but I also have concerns about security issues. I know that the free apps usually try to get some information on you for a, legal, information selling gimick. I'm not paranoid by any means, but I do lean on the side of caution. Curious to know how it works out.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted