1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Planned

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by killeroy154, Nov 29, 2018.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I had a couple of extra days of vacation to take, so I figured I'd go camping next week. Totally flying off the seat of my pants with no clue about food or equipment. Not going to pack things in. Just drive up and dump it out, as my nephew says "Dump camping". Thought I'd take the pop up awning, hammock, a tarp, canoe and Mr heater with 25lb can of propane. Of course I'll have sleeping bag, blankets and stuff. I figured if I start freezing to death at night I'd get in vehicle and run heater.

To much home chores, remodeling and now clothes shopping with the wife, I'm dieing! I need a break, burn something over open fire, howl in the woods at night, and probably freeze to death.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Just reading your notification gets the heart a beating faster @killerroy154 . "Dump Camping," that's a new one for me. I've heard of "Trash Camping" but it sounds like your definition is really "chaos with a purpose". Luvs it. I bet you really have a set plan that allows you to move quickly when the spirit moves you?

My standard equipment is already packed and reading to go, except for the food boxes - though the food lists and menu plans are prepared for a fourteen-day adventure. My immediate attention is focussed on the first winter camp. I think winter is going to be particularly interesting this year.

No matter what - you have yourself a fabulous time!

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have some stuff ready to go always. Most of it is always stored on a shelf. 14 days would be a mind blowing thing for me. I don't think I could plan for that. One of these days I'll get it together.

I may bail out of it at the last minute. It all depends on the weather. I wish we had more snow around here. The winters here are mostly cold, gray and wet.

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I had to bail on my camping trip. I got up to the camp ground, and it was closed. The Internet said they were open all year, and even the locals down below said they were open year round. I drove an hour to another lake, and all camp grouds were closed there also.

Feeling frustrated, I drove back home.
    In the spring I'll be ready, and campgrounds will be opening up. 4 months to go.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I feel bad for you; it's a real let down when plans are dashed. You get that sinking feeling, almost like being defeated. I had a canoe trip planned a few years back with a Buddy. I was looking forward to being away and counted the seconds waiting for the big day. He gave me the wrong directions and we failed to meet at the rendezvous site. We never spoke of the circumstance - it just faded into space - which was a good thing. With trying to find the location, coming and going it was a twelve-hour trip.

"Back so soon?" a colleague asked when I returned home. There was no answer from me though the tired, exasperated expression on my face suggested that he drop the subject [and not ask any more questions].

You probably do what I do in these situations [trying to control one's emotional response] "What can I learn from this situation to improve next time?" :banghead:

Draft saved Draft deleted