1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Quilt

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Nov 29, 2018.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I've started on a down camping quilt project. I'm hoping to have it done before wednesday.[​IMG] I got 7 yards of ripstop nylon 1.35oz, 1lb of down[​IMG]and the antique singer sewing machine oiled and ready.[​IMG]I had some help with the mosquito netting for the baffles.[​IMG]got the material cut to 60 x 80 inches, with more help of course.[​IMG]I got the baffles sewn to the top, or bottom? I'll have to work on this tomorrow. Always open for input.

Roy[​IMG]

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Done. I've spent several hours today on my quilt. Made lots of errors, used lots of thread, got lots of down in my hair and I think in my lungs. Don't know about it? Not as fluffy as I was expecting. Maybe find out next week.[​IMG]

3. mr.seangill

mr.seangill Novice Camper

For your first project for a quilt that looks pretty good. you picked a very difficult project to make your first project on. it looks like though your baffles may be too narrow do really except the loft. Out of curiosity what temperature rating were you shooting to hit with that? Typically the verticle height of your baffles equates the temp rating or r value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@mr.seangill, thank you. I was shooting for about low 30's F. I made the baffles about 3 inchs because I used 16oz of 700 fill down. The bag measured 54 x 77 when I was done, I over stitched the seams a little, and left a small channel in bottom where I can run a cord through to pull that end up. I just finished sewing a sleeve to the underside of my hammock, so I can insert the insulating pad underneath. I have an old sleeping bag I am going to rig for an under a quilt also.

Wife just about screw up and asked why I just don't buy one. Yeh right. We replaced our bathroom vanity top, sink, mirror, light and fixtures last weekend, and our washer just died this past week. I was tempted to warm the credit card up for a nice underquilt... ha.

5. mr.seangill

mr.seangill Novice Camper

Well I think you did a fine job. The the main key to your insulation rating is how high those channels will loft. It's very hard to tell in the pictures but I don't think you achieved the full 3 inches. I also don't have any literature on down with a fill power of 700. matter of fact I believe the lowest I have ever seen in literature for do-it-yourself was 800 fill power which I can't believe would be too much different than 700.

which I guess leads to my next point the lower the fill power the higher the loft needed to secure the same temperature rating. But math is really fun however it's the real world that counts. Proof is in the pudding right.

So get out there try it out get us a report

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted