1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Recipes

Discussion in 'Food' started by kevinkimers, Dec 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I don't think that I have ever made anything over a campfire that needed a recipe, although the soup sounds and looks good. I read the list of ingredients though, and half of that stuff, I don't even have at home---let alone when I go camping! I guess I am more of just a basic food person when it comes to camping out.

We always took along some cold fried chicken, potato salad, and a big can of beans. When we caught fish, we cooked those on the campfire. I made campfire biscuits, and those were delicious. We made them out of the same kind of a dough that you would make a regular biscuit out of. Then I would cook it in the cast iron pan for a while, and then turn the biscuit over and cook the other side until it was cooked through, and both sides were toasty golden brown. Just remembering how good those biscuits taste makes me want to be out around a campfire cooking a few of those for dinner!

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

My Mom cooked like that. People use to ask her for her recipes and she always said, "It's a family secret." I asked her one day why she never revealed any of her recipes and she told me, "I never use a recipe that's already been written." Her meals, fresh baked bread, rolls and such were always the talk around the table. I'm sorta like that when I get to making camp meals.

Simple, absolutely delicious, filling, chuck full of nutrition and goodness, yada yada yada.

Though it's fun to try cooking/baking from scratch. o_O

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I am just as lazy as the next person but I think when you're camping you have a lot of spare time, what else would you rather do then spend a lot of extra time you wouldn't normally have to prepare a delicious meal? I know if it weren't for food prep I would probably just be spending additional time sitting around prodding the fire or reading a book.

5. happyflowerlady

Are you serious?? Naw, I am sure that you are just kidding me , and giving me a bad time. There is not any "sitting around prodding the fire or reading a book" going on when I am out camping! I am out there at LEAST until dark catching those fish! Then, I cook them over the campfire for dinner.

Tell me true, @campforums---who would even think about having soup for dinner when they can have fresh trout?? (if you say that you like the soup, then you have missed out on one of life's finest pleasures) Actually the sitting around and poking the campfire is a fine thing, too; but staring at the flickering campfire (while reflecting on the day's fishing) is even better than reading. Who can read in the dark, anyway?

6. Northern Dancer

...that would be absolutely fine if you are reading books....like...say River Thieves, or Running West, Crazy for the Storm or the Last Crossing just to name a few man adventures. :thumbsup:

campforums likes this.
  7. Northern Dancer

I read in the dark! :) Well...err...I mean...I have a light source. I like to read some pleasant stuff [even poetry :angelic:] before I close my eyes. But more often I'm hoping that a Great Horned Owl will be in the vicinity or by some miracle of nature I should be so blessed to hear the canis lupis chorus - that would be real great.

campforums and happyflowerlady like this.
  8. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

First of all, that chilli looks amazing. Gotta cook that soon.

second, I would never read a book when I am camping, I would either find wood to add to the fire (Love seeing the flame grow), or go hiking.

If there is a near by river with fish, then I would be all over that also.

9. Northern Dancer

And bringing the focus back to food. This is one of the things that I will make. [At base Camp]

Chicken Stew in the Dutch Oven, swinging leisurely over an open fire, that can be described as chunky - every thing is big, chunky potatoes, carrots, celery and then there is the corn, onion, peas, Lima beans, green beans, [and whatever you want] and just the right amount of seasoning. Nice thick gravy that is truly succulent. [yummy]

Awe...but we are not finished...

Baked rolls with real butter and last but not least - fresh man eatin apple pie with mild hard cheese.

And don't forget the freshly brewed, perked no less, real coffee. Can't yah smell it?

10. happyflowerlady

I can not only smell it---I am totally visualizing that magnificent dinner!! I want some! (do you by any chance deliver?) I have used the cast iron dutch oven for camp cooking, but not for anything as wonderful as what you make. I think that when I made those camp biscuits, I actually made those in the dutch oven; so they more or less baked, but I still turned them over to brown them a little better.

Maybe because I was the Mom, and had to cook everyday; for me camping was a "vacation" from the chores of a housewife and mother. So, campfire food was always something easy and fun to make. Hotdogs and marshmallows campfire roasted on a fresh-cut willow branch were yummy and easy to make, and we all had a lot of fun trying to get that marshmallow browned just right wthout burning it.

11. Northern Dancer

Ha ha :) ...it's great stuff aint it?

12. campforums

Whoops, it looks like I have struck a sensitive area. I was commenting on you saying you wouldn't make anything that needs a recipe... I guess I forgot how easy it can be to grill up some meat. I am not a very good fisherman though and I also don't like going hungry, so there's that...

Maybe we should start a book recommendation thread

13. campforums

Reading is great, a lot of people really underestimate it. You can read to absorb useful or interesting information, you can read for pleasure and also any reading you do improves your vocabulary and writing skills even if it is just marginally. I always have a book or two on the go!

That sounds like the beef stew (without the beef) that my brother and mom make.

14. Northern Dancer

You can do that too or any other kind of meat that tickles the fancy.

15. Northern Dancer

OR add it to a thread. Though, there would be some who would say that it deserves its own. Then again....you could have a whole lot of threads - so many that they would be hard to digest them all. :(

16. campforums

The only problem is deciding which books are worthy enough of being "camping themed"

17. happyflowerlady

One way to add to your camping knowledge is with e-books from the Kindle store. Amazon has several camping information books that are free, and others that are very reasonably priced. If you are not familiar with the Kindle store, it is easy to use. You need an Amazon account (which is free), and either a Kindle, or a Kindle app for your laptop or tablet.

Then you just go to the Kindle store, put in "camping" as the search term, and search either by relevance if you are not concerned about price, or by price from low to high otherwise. If you have an actual Kindle and an Amazon Prime account, then you can also use the Kindle Lending Library to borrow books. Then you can read them first and decide if you want to buy the book.

campforums likes this.
  18. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Okay, Okay, I am willing to stick up, Erik, and for the idea of reading a good book when I am relaxing back at camp. And think of those rainy days when the work is done and your lazying around in your tent waiting for it to stop. Sure bet some of you sleep the day away, while we who love to read books are lost in a adventure or at least learning some new camp craft skills like cooking up a new recipe. ;):watching:

19. happyflowerlady

I always used to take along a good book and a pckage of sunflower seeds when we went fishing. I am the kind of angler who like to just put on some bait and a bobber and watch for the fish to come along and bite, as opposed to the fishermann who likes to be throwing out and reeling in a lure all of the time.

So, while I was waiting, I was also reading my book, and enjoying the sunshine and being in the great outdoors. If course, sometimes the fish were biting good, and you didn't have a lot of time for reading. That was even better!!

20. Northern Dancer

...let's see now...um mm...camping recipes. Well...it's not a recipe but I just like cooking chicken over an open fire or a slab of ribs....but mostly chicken. I use a camp made spite or simply let it dangle from my tripod over an open fire and just let it roast until it is succulently delicious.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmtHpLRFiOW7QTk1rTkMd1FLZTbl0d1GDuwmd-n9gCiL5ClRPB.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted