1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Recipes

Discussion in 'Food' started by kevinkimers, Dec 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for the tutorial, I've been meaning to pick up an e-Reader so that I can save some money on books. Although part of me really likes the feel of holding a hard copy book in my hand and being able to put it on my shelf when I am done.

2. campforums

Hmm, using a tripod to cook chicken with. That is something I've never heard of before. Do you use some twine or something to secure it? What is your tripod made of by the way? I would be worried that it might melt from the heat of the fire even if it was a fair distance from the flames.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I was checking my pictures but I didn't find any (yet). But what I do is to use a bit of wire mesh - I
    precut it so it easily wraps around the chicken, it's hooked to the tripod chain. I'm able to raise or lower it accordingly. Sometimes I have a piece of flat board at the top so the wind will catch it and make the chicken revolve - above the open fire. Some people will use twine - you can see that on the net.

I use wood poles when in the interior or a metal one if I'm in base camp. It takes a few tries to cook the chicken well. It's one of those leisurely tasks one does when one wants to lounge around the camp site. It takes a few times to gain the experience to cook the chicken well. I find that when the outer skin is a deeper brown as apposed a golden brown it's done. I also use a thermometer to the check as well.

You can use a tripod for your Dutch oven and coffee pot. Mine comes with a hanging grill that enables you to cook other things like steak, corn on the cob etc. You can also use the tripod to hand things on like pry pans and utensils. I've used it as a drying rack for clothing after a storm - just add a cross bar at the base and you have a wood cloths line.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbIK_jpjxVBmnfyN4HyK68YPffoBBiPmGi7qsaMzkTJXFvdCuV.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBNmiNWrSZqRaYBgcjoTYLgK3ZnrbsLRvFjonvZskGREDN5XMlFw.jpg

1zftt8z.jpg

I found this photo in one of my journals. The tripod is made of wood lashed at the top - you can see the coffee pot.

4. campforums

Ah that kind of tripod. I was thinking of one used for photography which are usually made of metal or plastic and easy to damage. Do you just gather those sticks when you set up the camp site? They look pretty long and straight which can be hard to find when you are out scavenging in the woods. But good job, looks good! :thumbsup:

I usually stack some rocks on either side of the fire and place a metal grill on top because I would be afraid that it might fall into the fire if I did not secure it properly like you have there. But I like how you said you could make the wind rotate it for you? Where do you place the board to get that going?

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I do that too - a key fire, the larger one for the camp and the smaller one for cooking. If you have lots of time you play with all this stuff - I call it camping. :) And yes, I use downed trees to find my poles - which is easy to do.

campforums likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted