1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Stoves The Problems & Solutions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 2sweed, Feb 20, 2016.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Picking out the right stove to use when camping or hiking can be easy or not, depending on your experience with these types of stoves and the fuels needed to run them. This video will give you insight into the problems encountered and how to prevent unnecessary fires or accidents. Often when hiking weight is a bigger issue then if your just setting up a long term base camp. So your choice of camp stove will depend on your choices in how & where you will be enjoying the great outdoors.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

It is always nice to have more tips when it comes to the different types of stoves. This video deals with the alcohol stove and it's parts and stands, and wind-shields for cooking pot protection.

3. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

My husband is fond of his Coleman stove with the little green bottles. One burner is a grate and the other is a griddle. He does all the cooking when we camp together.

If we are camping together, then we are in the travel trailer which has a three burner propane stove inside. We cook inside in wet or windy weather

When I solo tent camp, I bring my Biolite stove that burns wood, pine needles and cones, leaves, and tree bark that I can gather. I bring a sack of treated pecan wood chips meant for a barbeque grill, and burn a combination of everything, or just the pecan chips if there is no natural fuel available..

I bring a second backup stove that is the little folding survival type ones. It can use wood products, but can also use alcohol tabs or even candles.

The nice thing about these two is that most anything can be a windbreak, including a log or an existing fire ring since they are so low profile.

I always bring tea and oatmeal, which only need a little hot water to prepare. My last backup plan is for inside the tent. I have a three candle UCO lantern that I just picked up. Haven't put it to the test, but when all three are burning, the top of the lantern becomes a stove top. Takes about an hour to boil water, but that is enough for a meal of tea and oatmeal.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted