1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Style

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by kevinkimers, Nov 29, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

There are a lot of camping styles out there. What is yours?

I like to call mine the survivalist method. I take only what I can carry in a backpack, my pets, and my boyfriend. We hit the wilds and just mill around for however long we can, hunting and gathering as much as we can for food. We are not stupid though... we do take along essentials such as med kits and freeze dried food just in case. I'm diabetic so we can't take to many chances.

We have even gone as far as making our own tent out of whatever we could find. It was pretty interesting making our own tent out of limbs and brush.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

As I was sharing, I'm a four season man. I have made a bush camp and managed to have a couple of survivalist camp sessions under my belt - but for the cost of tents today I'd rather invest (as I do) in outfitters equipment. My buds have some names for me - one is Mr Sufistacat - I don't know why. I suppose it is because of my general attitude. I can take on just about anything - but I want to return to a base camp to enjoy a bit of comfort.

You have to appreciate that I have a sense of humour and I see funny things. I noticed what you carry in your backpack.... :) pets and your boyfriend - he looks kinda heavy to be carrying.

I've never hunted for food - I admit that is an experience that I haven't had. The other Camping Babblers know that I'm not a a guy to go fishing.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    happyflowerlady likes this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well, for me camping is a way to de-stress and escape from hectic city life for a few days, kind of like a mini vacation. Sometimes during the summer when the weather is nice and I will go on longer expeditions for a week or more in which I'll do lots of canoeing and hard work that comes with extended camping trips where you are on the move. Those trips I consider to be the real camping trips rather the small ones I take which feel like more of a vacation, especially if the people I've brought along are good at helping out to set up the camp site. Once everyone is relaxed with a big meal in their stomachs and gathered around the camp fire with a beer in hand you can really sit for a moment and just appreciate the moment.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  4. Northern Dancer

...now that's what I call campin! :bear: Me too!

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

While camping for me at this point is a indoor slumber party, generally I like a nice tent and a couple friends along for fun. Also time to explore the region and do photography. I like camp fires and staring into the flames while listening to home grown funny stories. And I like sleeping in on cold mornings. So i guess this is called OneLazy Way camping.

6. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

2sweed, that sounds like an excellent camping style to me ! Getting down to sleep on the ground is not easy for me anymore; but the last camping trip we went on, I had a nice little tent, and one of those thick air-mattresses to keep me from sleeping on the hard ground.
    It was kind of a compromise between camping and a vacation.

We had one of those camping club memberships (Thousand Trails), and we were going from Western Washington to California to (finally) keep the promise of taking my daughter to Disneyland. Since she was actually about 21 at the time, it was not like camping with a little child, and we had a great trip down to California and back, and camping at the closest campgrounds on the way.

This is a long ways different from actually trekking back through the hills to some little lake; but it had its own benefits. We enjoyed being able to swim and soak in the hot tubs at night, and a couple of the campgrounds even had a small fishing pond that campers could use.
    They stocked the fish pond, so we caught a fine trout and enjoyed cooking that over the BBQ campfire.
    All in all, it is not a bad compromise if you can't do the regular camping anymore, but still want to get out of the house and be in nature.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  7. Northern Dancer

Camping use to be a rustic circumstance, but not anymore. At one time you loved it or hated it.

The problem today is, no one really has a clear definition of the term camping. We sort of agree - it's about getting outside and encountering nature in some manner or fashion.

So that means anyone can camp, as we call it, no matter the age or situation. All you need is the appropriate equipment.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9zxRfGcTY0pV4b6lEk7CMB45zdPA22m7_3hn82TUnCv19o9e8.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeapKF5JwbWaj4qTLYnI99j6EqSYvvWgsjhC7TOPaA1anHkkun.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXQDmGB1V4mac4PonGTYhhVFgB2cT8gSJveEpEASY8cinxhoIC0Q.jpg MY STYLE OF CAMPING :thumbsup:

AND THEN THERE IS THIS :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjeEjy98Brb5_Ot8zAX-uz69VT5i6ZbUH9vPAK_6u7g8JSRz_n.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0ECtkyQ7DGWp-3kH2Fx2Mzji6wcDpuSF-YIz4LKLrvPADGG0R.jpg
    upload_2014-12-8_15-19-34.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNMG7TC5BbNZHgkGiGKK08Ro7YLHmFJTb2U3eJ6C0nA48dO_3D.jpg

upload_2014-12-8_15-25-19.jpeg

We call it choice....:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. Northern Dancer

I call this campin too.... :bear: I agree with him.

9. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

When I had my VW Westphalia camper bus, I really loved that. It was an easy size to drive, got excellent gas mileage, and was easy to get in and out of the little bed in the back. It even had a little stove and icebox that we could use when we wanted to. The top popped up when you were camping; so you could actually stand up straight in the camper.

Mine was just a plain tan color; but one that was the true "Flower Power" would have been the ideal. Although I am sure if I had one of these, my husband would not even let me park it in the driveway, let alone go camping with me in this camper bus.
    image.jpg

campforums likes this.
  10. Northern Dancer

I'm sure Reese would agree too. SEE...he even signed it! images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBdx6-d7vCV3vuJfEI5VinQOIDCe3B9FVD1piCnFY1a5hxqfU-Iw.jpg
    3500zts.jpg

11. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

I agree, the meaning of camping is different for everyone. While staying in an RV is not considered camping per say in my eyes, it is still camping. When I camp, I like to take a Yurt (extreme cold weather or long term camping) or a tent (warmer weather or short term camping). The idea of living with the comforts of home rather then roughing it doesn't seem right to me. However, to someone else... it could be the opposite or, as much as they would like to rough it there maybe reasons they are unable to and required to RV it.

12. Northern Dancer

I've not had the opportunity to live/camp in a Yurt but it looks really interesting. I was particularly fascinated and a bit intrigued when I watched the documentary - The Couple who Lives with Wolves published May 7, 2014 (on the net). It seems simple in design but rather excellent in terms of strength and shelter that it provides.

And you are right about the RV. I don't see myself a strong supporter but I did stay in a small one for a weekend. A shower, a really comfortable bed, out of the elements, nice kitchen [STOP.... :facepalm: I'm talking myself into it.] :cool:

13. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

If I had to RV it, I think I would choose a pop-up camper. Since it basically opens up into two screened sleeping areas, somewhat like a tent with a screened room. Could still cook outdoors and use foods for the trail. Only difference would be sleeping a bit higher off the ground and needing a place to park it. :):couchpotato::happy:

14. campforums

Woah, a classic hippy fan. That is so awesome :D

I also have a relative who owns an old VW van but again it is not decked out with a psychedelic paint scheme. They make great vehicles for road trips since there is tons of room and comfy for travelling. I was considering renting something like this last summer when I was trying to put together a camping trip with some friends.

15. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNuoRg1TB7YfXFBqBiO9JZdduLl7tfql8mGIBXtv1-8SzOBikU.jpg

It seems that some one stole/borrowed/became instantly creative - and came up with a tent. "Wadua" think?

upload_2014-12-9_22-36-54.jpeg

Here's another idea...gnaw, I like the VW.

16. campforums

^ That's an interesting way to cut your sandwich.

17. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSokBQpNzaXzbLFrTAgGQiE_INpndbkyXSTxYOFUQHngUatBiGc.jpg This looks delicious too. The manufacturer is in England AND IF THEY WERE IN THIS COUNTRY...ya...I probably would buy one just to be different. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  18. campforums

Hahaha, oh wow. The first one I thought was a real sandwich until you posted the watermelon one and I realized it was tent and looked back at the first one o_O

19. Northern Dancer

Here are a couple more - there are a whole series of them apparently.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeZ_7FfY1dTeN1MRhgb18pvG5_mApjpllxdeIkoVyxb08jkQCz.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfqFvIj2AIn9QUP51dNQamrBanzAUOhoF_9aCeWkT9AxPX8xCk.jpg

20. campforums

Where are you getting these images from? Is there like a company out there that makes novelty tents? Haha

Draft saved Draft deleted