1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Style

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by kevinkimers, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

^ I added the link for you :)

I see some familiar pictures there haha, these are quite amusing.

image_thumb232.png

3. Northern Dancer

I don't know how good these tents would be - but perhaps for a weekend they might be okay. It's the novelty more than the practicability of the product. But like I said, I would probably buy one just to wow my camping neighbours. :bear: I tell ya, this guy is a real camping nut.

4. campforums

Probably not the best tents to promote in your "Return to WINTER CAMPING" thread then, I do imagine that you would get some strange looks as you set up your sent at a campground. haha

5. Northern Dancer

That would be true - but not unexpected. It leads me to another camp discussion - "trinket campers". These are people that purchase things that look good but are really ridiculous in terms of any kind of practicability. Yet I see it all the time - and perhaps I was a bit like that at one time. It seems to me that the more spendable money we have the more silly we become.

Glow-in-the-dark-toilet-paper.jpg
    Glow in the dark toilet paper?

picnic-pants.jpg

animal-footprint-shoes.jpg
    Bear paws?

Well...then again...maybe.
    :) :bear: I told you he's nuts.

6. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

When it is just me, I tent camp. A 4 person tent, cot, sleeping bag, chair, book, ukulele, walking stick, hand crank lights, cooler, and a pocket stove is usually all I need. If I am camping at a campground with paved roads or paved trails, I bring my kick scooter, otherwise I hike marked trails.

When I am with my husband, we use a small travel trailer. If the weather is mild, we can boondock for a short time. Usually we require electric to run an oxygen concentrator, bpap machine, and to use the heater or air conditioner as needed. We are big state park/national forest or mom and pop campground campers. We spend most of the day in the truck riding around looking at local sites as my husband can't hike or bike ride. Then, we head back to the trailer in the evening.

7. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I'm the ultimate comfort driven camper. Arthritis in the neck, a bad knee and some long-term back issues pushed me to find ways to get off the ground. Before I got my cabin tent, this is how I did it.

HalfDome_zpsa524c791.png

Three half sheets of OSB, some 2x4s and 2x6s and I'm off the ground and level. No more worrying about floor damage by rocks and other sharps or rain or waking up rolled into the side of the tent :)

Northern Dancer likes this.
  8. Northern Dancer

I can certainly identify with most of your first description and applaud you for the second. I'm going to assume that your State makes ample consideration like our Provincial Parks do in terms of needs. .

9. Northern Dancer

I just love the scene. Though I don't have any need for a tarp over my tent. I do have a kitchen shelter with net as well as a wash/private toilet stand. And I can see your electrical/solar system clearly. As you know I have three Alaknaks (different sizes) that I use for base camp. I also have two different kinds of t-pees as well as back pack tents.

You captured my attention when I saw the platform. It is my intention to have one this summer (GW). I'm out for longer periods of time than most and I really do want to get the tent off the ground. Like the picture MacGyver too

10. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I'll never go without a tarp if I can help it. I've got a 25-year-old Eureka dome that looks brand new because it doesn't get any tree sap on it, never gets rained on and the sun has never hit it directly. All that and I'll always have a place to sit outside the tent when it rains.

Platformsmall_zpscb244c78.png

Here's a close up view of the other end of the solar setup

ThePanel_zps5237745e.png

If you're considering a platform for your larger tents, I'll tell you to be prepared to take a lot of lumber with you. The platforms that I've made (about a dozen incarnations) have all had minimal support. Solid enough that I know they won't fall apart when I move around, but definitely not solid like the ground. I would imagine a large tent where you're walking around will need considerably more support.

11. Northern Dancer

You are right about the protection against the rays that is why I make attempts to stay in the partial shade. It's just amazing the damage that can be done. Ya...that has been one of the reasons why I haven't acted on the wood because I know I will need a fair bit. But...I think I might give it a crack. I always have a foot (ground sheet) but when you are sitting in the same place for four or five weeks I wanted something better. I did look at those RV mats but decided against it. I have a 10 x 10 that I often use when I'm by myself. I use solar as well as you already know. "You ain't no novice camper MacGyver." :) :bear: Ditto

12. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I like some of those designs. The round bubble one would be like having a see-though house no privacy there. Here is another good looking design.

upload_2014-12-23_19-26-45.jpeg

13. campforums

The toilet paper I would probably buy if it were the same price as regular but for me even the white color of the non-glow in the dark kind is very easy to see in the starlight because it stands out so much against the dark coloring of the foliage so I've never had any problems there.

I might consider the bear paws... But I don't think they'd work too well because most people are accustomed to seeing all sorts of tracks in the forest. It also might be a giveaway if they saw you wearing those funny shoes haha

14. campforums

Don't you find the wood plank uncomfortable to sleep on? I've always found the ground (although lumpy) to be fairly comfortable but I imagine that with the wood platform it would feel more like sleeping on the floor. What you were saying about rips in the floor is something I have encountered though, but I try to avoid that by clearing any rocks before I lay the tend and if there are any roots sticking up out of the ground I will cover them with a small mound of dirt first.

actadh likes this.
  15. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

As it happens, when my back is really killing me, I sometimes sleep on a carpeted floor and it seems to help. On the platform, I use the absolutely best pad I've ever owned - A Thermarest LuxuryMAP. Makes for a really nice bed.

As far as clearing an area to protect the floor of the tent, I don't know about you, but I almost always managed to find one little rock or piece of root that I missed - and it was always somewhere closer to the center of the tent. That would make my OCD kick in and I'd have to move the tent.

I've always said that my life is a series of contradictions. Camping with a platform is definitely one of 'em. I'm a comfort-driven, tools lovin' camper who tries to eliminate bulk in my truck. It would be SO much easier and a lot less bulkier to just bring a rake to clear an area and be done with it. But then I wouldn't be off the cold, lumpy ground and sleeping level.

16. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

If it can't be fixed with coat hangers, vise grips, duct tape, paracord and....wood platforms, it can't be fixed. :)

campforums and happyflowerlady like this.
  17. campforums

Ah, I can understand that OCD thing since I am like that also. I don't think I've ever used a sleeping pad, normally my sleeping bag is good enough or I will just stuff some clothes in a bad to use as a pillow or to cushion any particular lumpy parts.

You mentioned some tools, is that platform drilled together or anything like that? I wouldn't imagine that it moves much in the night just lying on top of it and that would certainly make it easier to setup and dismantle.

Draft saved Draft deleted