1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Tacos in a Bag...

Discussion in 'Food' started by Northern Dancer, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

My colleague Eric organized this for us on our Trip to Red Pine Lake
    It may not be new to most but it is worth sharing again.

Use small bags Dorito chips, (2.5 – 3.5oz.), per camper.

• 1/2 cup cooked and Taco-seasoned hamburger per camper
    • shredded/chopped lettuce
    • shredded cheddar or Mexican-mix cheese
    • diced onions
    • diced tomatoes
    • mild or medium salsa or taco sauce
    • sour cream
    • plastic forks or spoons
    • *be prepared – have extra bags of chips for those requests for more.
    1. Add the ingredients you want
    2. Fold the top of the bag closed and scrunch and shake the bag to mix everything up
    3. [We scrunch the bag before we put in the ingredients]
    4. That’s it! Open the bag, grab a fork or spoon, and dig in.
    The great thing is there is very little to clean up. We used baggies an poured the Dorito chips into the bag before coming to camp. The waste all went into the fire.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Sounds delicious, I really like tacos and your bagged version makes it easy to eat without a table to sit at and also means it doesn't matter if the taco shells get broken

3. Northern Dancer

It is actually and it really tasted scrumptious.

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I love tacos, and this sounds like a great way to make them. I can see it working well at a backyard picnic and when out camping like you had them. I have never heard of this idea before. I think that i will try this instead of making the regular tortilla soft tacos that we usually have.
    This might be a great way to use up all of those little broken Dorito chips that are always at the bottom of the bags. We can just scrunch them up, and make taco salads out of them.

5. Northern Dancer

I was surprised how easy it was and more especially how delicious - probably the great outdoors environment.

Really nice to see you on line. Did you manage to get in any day time trips? :)

6. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Hi, Dancer ! I have actually not gone anywhere this summer, not even fishing. My daughter, Robin, who is my usual travel companion, was sent to Afghanistan early in March, and she was supposed to only be there a few weeks. Well, she is still there, and she has NO idea when she will be back home now.

She has the kayaks and a pickup truck; and we usually go on the hiking or fishing trips (or just out exploring) together. I guess that it will probably be next year before we can do anything now, since it has gotten pretty cold (for the South) and it is hard to say when she will actually get back home again.

In the meantime, I have been going to the fitness center, doing my cardio exercises and swimming for an hour , several times a week. I can feel the difference already, so by next spring, I should be in much better shape to go out and have outdoor adventures. And poor Robin; she has had to entertain herself with the scorpions!

image.jpeg

7. Northern Dancer

========================================== :)

Always great to see you online. I'm back at the gym/pool too. I think I might have done a bit much this summer - the ol' muscles are sore from 47 days of camping and canoeing this summer. The exercises are doing me good.
    :)bear: Don't let him fool ya - he loved every minute of it.)

Afghanistan - sorry, but even the name is ugly. Can I ask if your daughter is military?

Draft saved Draft deleted