1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping Themed Novels

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by happyflowerlady, Dec 31, 2014.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

So.... do you also read Dean Koontz books ?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I did pick something up at one time. I'm not into horror or science fiction. A thoughtful person gave me a Christmas gift book by Bill Bryson's; A Walk in the Woods that I'm reading at the moment. It's about his adventures with the Appalachian Trail; funny, interesting and attention grabbing.

3. Northern Dancer

BOOKS WITH OUTDOOR THEMES...sure can.

You might enjoy these campforums.

I really like [our] history. If you haven't read these yet you might enjoy them.

This is a fast read - George Johnson's War by Maureen Garvie and Mary Beaty. Done well.
    For George Johnson, life in the great manor house in the Mohawk Valley has always been easy and privileged. His father is Sir William Johnson, one of the richest and most powerful men in the colonies. His mother is the indomitable Molly Brant, step daughter of a Mohawk chief. But as the War for American Independence looms, even the Johnson's are forced to flee the valley. George dreams of following in the footsteps of his father and brother by fighting for the King, so his family can reclaim their former lives. But this is a different kind of war, one that pits neighbour against neighbour. And when George does return to the valley, it is not the home coming he had imagined.

An oldie but a goody - Company of Adventurers by Peter C. Newman
    A sweeping chronicle of the Hudson's Bay Company is a vivid and dramatic account of the people and events that ultimately determined the destiny of a continent.

Caesars of the Wilderness by Peter C. Newman is great too - it's a different slant on the Hudson's Bay Company especially the exploits of the Company of Adventurer, chronicling the exploits of the voyageurs and soldiers-of-fortune who conquered a continent.

You might find this interesting The Last Crossing by Guy Vanderhaeghe
    A sweeping tale of interwoven lives and stories, set in the second half of the nineteenth century, in the American and Canadian West and in Victorian England. The Last Crossing is a breath taking novel of adventure, darkness and masterful storytelling by one of Canada's most celebrate authors.

I have a mini library of all kinds of adventure stuff if you want to hear/read more. :)

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

@Dancer, Do you have any books about someone who moved to the wilderness to live, solo persons or trappers, like in the Canadian wilderness?

5. Northern Dancer

I think I do but I don't know where they are at the moment.

One book I do have....let me see....here it is... A Life in the Bush (lessons I learned from my father)... paused to blow off the dust. by Roy MacGregor

I have one on how to build a log cabin - but I can't seem to locate it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks, I will check those out

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer?

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Wild-Jon-Krakauer/dp/0385486804/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420449307&sr=1-1&keywords=into the wild

7. Northern Dancer

I read Into the Wild...what can I say? Nothing like reading about a man's folly.

Here is [I believe a better one] that moved and inspired me.

Crazy for the Storm (by Norman Ollestad) - a memoir of survival, a true story of an eleven year old boy who survives a deadly plan crash. Reminded me of that recent story of the seven year old girl.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  8. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Dancer, I was teasing you. Dean Koontz absolutely loves Golden Retreivers, and has one featured in almost all of his books. While he does write unusual books, heis not actually into the deep kind of horror stories like Stephen King writes. Those are pretty unrelenting horror stories, for the most part.

2Sweed, if you like reading ficton, one book that you might enjoy is called "Mrs. Mike". It has been years since I read it, but it is about surviving in either the Yukon, or maybe Alaska, I forget which. It is such an old book that I am not sure if you can even find it anymore; but an interesting story if you can find it.

9. Northern Dancer

Thanks for the clarification :) happyflowerlady - the book that I picked up wasn't on the subject matter.

And speaking of matter - We have all ready MARLEY & ME right? by John Grogan (life and love with the world's worst dog)

10. 2sweed

I have seen the video of Into The Wild, and posted it on the forum. Although, I read fiction, when it comes to this type of book I like true stories. You can learn a lot of other peoples experiences, be they be good or bad advice. These types of books on life in the wilderness always give me fodder for day dreams of what might have been, if I had met the right man, the first time around. I am too old to consider moving off by myself into a cabin off-grid, but the thought is still there. Often there are books I have not heard of that would be a good read. I am going to look at the Bill Bryson books, as well. ;)

11. campforums

Well even the stories that are "based on true stories" I would take with a grain of salt. People tend to like to play up their stories to make them more interesting :p

Hmm, well if you think that it is better than "Into the Wild" then I will have to take a look.

What about "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen, has anybody here read that?

12. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Not camping exactly, more like survival - the adolescent book Hatchet mentioned here was my kids favorite

campforums likes this.
  13. Northern Dancer

There are many excellent books on wilderness stuff. I'm not into the survivor mentality - you know what I mean - the guy with face painted, military fatigues, cut down machete in his belt, and that stone faced look; and he tells me how I should be living in the woods. No thanks.

I do have a number of other books on the shelf that aren't novels.

The Outdoors man - Manuel
    Wilderness First Aid - St. John Ambulance
    Camp Fire Stores - by William Forget, M.D.
    Weather Forecasting - the Basic Essentials by Micheal Hodgson and a whole bunch of other stuff that provides instruction that enables me to enhance my skill level and confidence.

And in my opinion there is nothing like the material that is produced by Boy Scouts of America and Scouts Canada. Their stuff tends to be top rate and character building.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHZt7xkmOyiWSyYlrUt4T90mTqUCAVx0p83WGBjLUezZCUNqIa.jpg I still have this one on my shelf
    upload_2015-1-6_20-32-3.jpeg and they are always bringing their material up to date.

upload_2015-1-6_20-33-31.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZF2ED-U1Pf7fXIufuIuF8mYmf08dK-xMByfG3PcXPsWnwk2OAsA.jpg Scouts Canada too

Check out the Book stores - good stuff and relatively cheap.

14. Northern Dancer

I read the review on the novel Hatchet with interest and liked what I read - it might be for adolescents, but then again, I can pretend and read it just the same. Crashed in Canada eh! They should have called in the RCMP. :)

upload_2015-1-6_20-54-8.jpeg

campforums likes this.
  15. campforums

Yes, well I read it when I was an adolescent but I remembered it and it seemed to fit the topic here so perfectly that I thought I would mention it. I remember I liked it enough to read the next book in the series as well.

The stone faced expression alone should be enough to know that it is not the same as camping where your expression would be like this ~> :D

16. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

The Hatchet author wrote a second Hatchet book after many many fan letters that changed the original ending and continued the story. BTW, I like adolescent fiction and read it to this day.

17. campforums

Brian's Winter? I read that as well shortly after reading Hatchet, but it seems like there is a whole series that I didn't know about until I looked it up prior to posting about it here.

18. 2sweed

I have read a few of those books. Got some at a yard sale for my nephew. Good adventure fiction. I think I mentioned in another thread about one of my favorite books is Winterdance by Gary Paulsen. The chapter called "Major Wrecks", is so funny that whenever I get sad it is sure to bring lots of laughter and tears. The poor guy is trying to train a group of dogs to run the Iditarod, and is lucky to get out of his yard alive and come home alive. It is a very worthwhile read.

19. campforums

Might be worth a read, usually if you enjoy a book by one author then others that they have written are good too

20. 2sweed

I just finished reading the book, A Walk Across America, By Peter Jenkins.
    I read it out loud to my mother and she enjoyed it as well. Peter walked from Alfred, NY to New Orleans, La. He started his journey on October 15, 1973, with his dog Cooper, and arrived in New Orleans on April 11, 1975. He lost his beloved dog in a terrible accident during the time in spent living in Tennessee. The book is very interesting and hard to put down.

Before he leaves New Orleans to head west he falls in love and gets married, then he and his bride hike together the remaining length of his journey all the way to California. :cool::happy:

book.jpg

campforums likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted