1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping with Llamas

Discussion in 'Nature' started by happyflowerlady, Dec 12, 2014.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I have never done this, but I have read about it, and I think it would be a great thing to take a pack llama along if you were camping or hiking, as opposed to trying to carry everything in yourself. A llama walks at about the pace of a human, and they are a lot easier to handle than a horse or mule would be as a pack animal. They are a very friendly creature, and usually enjoy human companionship. I have had several llamas and enjoyed them a lot, but I have never gone on a hiking or camping trip with one. They are easy to train, and very intelligent; so I think that it would be perfect to train one for packing.

image.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I wonder how much weight they can carry? I have heard that Llamas are great because they are very sure footed so they can be used on mountainous terrain like you have pictured.

3. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

It depends on the size of the llama, and how old they are. Mine was easily able to carry my granddaughter, who was probably about 50 lbs, and I would have to look to see exactly how much they can carry. I would estimate 50-100 lbs at most. and maybe not much overr 50 if they were going to be packing it for a long hike.

The nice thing about a llama is that they are smaller, and more easily handled than a horse is, not spooky, and they very easy to train because of their disposition and their high intelligence. Also, if you accidentally get stepped on by a llama, it is not going to hurt nearly as bad as when a horse tromps on your foot. Llamas walk at a slower pace than a horse does, and they are not good to take along when you are riding horses because they can't keep up with the horse or mule. However, their speed is perfect for walking along beside a person, and they are a very companionable animal.

Llamas make kind of a humming noise to communicate, and when I went out to feed mine in the mornings, I would stand at the pasture fence and say "ooommm, ooommm", and pretty soon he would hum back at me, run up, put his nose in my face and give me his morning "llama kiss".

When I went for a walk around on the property, he would happily follow along beside me, with the dogs and the goat tagging along behind. They are also an excellent guard animal, and will chase off coyotes, and any other pests that come around. (Assuming it is not @Northern Dancer and his bear, of course)
    Since they will lie down in a vehicle, they can easily be transported in a van or even a car. There are just a lot of good attributes that make a llama a good pack animal.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Oh so you have gone out with a Llama then? Or your granddaughter at least?

I don't know much about llamba intelligent but it seems to me like the more important thing is obedience, for example my dog is pretty smart I suppose but not very obedient which can make things difficult. As for horses, I saw one this weekend and it was huge and had really muscular legs. You don't always realize from pictures or videos just how big and powerful horses are.

I think you'd probably be safe, there are not many Llamas up in Canada around Dancer's domain. Maybe if him and his bear get on a plane to South America you will have something to worry about...

planebear.jpg

happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted