1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping WITHOUT a Fire

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by campforums, Jul 7, 2015.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Nowadays it is possible to go camping quite comfortably and not have to have an actual camp fire going. They have portable grills and battery powered touches so it is possible to get by without one if you really wanted to. And I have certainly heard of people doing it this way. For me though, I enjoy the atmosphere a raging fire creates and food cooked on an open flame always seems to taste better to me. How about you guys?

2. Joseph Hadnett

Joseph Hadnett Novice Camper

I love having a fire while camping. The smoke keeps midges away too which is always good!
    Just a lot to be said about gathering firewood also.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Fire bans are happening more often and there is a need to take other equipment into the interior.

I use things like the Primus single burner to make simple meals though it has always been my practice to have really small fires. I use to have big ones then one day I heard the fire roaring and it seem to be saying feed me, feed me. All I did was to feed the fire. I stopped doing that.

Now I cut the wood in the morning so the evening is peaceful. Have enough wood to brighten the night but not enough to frighten the night creatures. :)

upload_2015-7-20_9-39-23.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBRBf6g5YVI9jEP39KAyVQEz_1JZ_YwGBkxgXZOQCOqRZI5zRn1A.jpg

4. campforums

This is true, although given the choice I would never go without a fire. It is one of my favourite parts about camping, like you I also have an ear for the fires hungry calls haha

Joseph Hadnett likes this.
  5. William

William Novice Camper

Taste better on real fire!

Joseph Hadnett likes this.
  6. Joseph Hadnett

Joseph Hadnett Novice Camper

Even burnt beans will taste better because of how much effort you go to.

7. campforums

It is like how things taste better when they are free!

Although with that being said, I think a lot of people prefer the taste of things cooked on a fire or charcoal BBQ versus propane or in the oven.

8. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Agree. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted