1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camps Ontario/Canada 2014

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Northern Dancer, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Getting Ready for Camping 2014 - Where to go?

For the best camp sites booking five months ahead is not uncommon. Certainly if you are going to Algonguin Provincial Park - there are 8 registered children's summer camps and over - are you ready for this? - 800,000 visitors a year. PLANNING IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT CAMP ACTIVITIES THAT YOU CAN DO.

Children and Youth Summer Camps in Canada

* Canadian Camping Association
    Check out your provincial association.

* Christian Camping International Canada
    Check out your provincial association.
    They also list - Job Postings - Find a Camp by Name - Resources etc.

* Ontario Camping Association
    They also list - Job Postings - Camp Jobs - - Find a Perfect Camp [if you are sending children] - Standards.

Travelling Around the Country?

* Private Campground Association - Canada Web Directory
    This is a list of private camp grounds.

Car Camping in Ontario Provincial Parks
    * www.ontarioparks.com/car camping

There are over 100 Provincial Parks in Ontario alone.

Parcs Canada/Parks Canada
    * www.pc.gc.ca
    Information on all Canada's Parks and Marine conservation areas

Regional, Local and Community Conservation Areas
    * There are "tonnes" of conservation areas in just about every community.
    Great places for weekend and day time use and quick get-a-ways.

If your are really adventurous...
    * Crown Land camping [Camping on Crown Land - Ministry of Natural Resources]
    * Parks Canada - some of the most remote wilderness areas of the country.

For groupers and groupees check out community organizations.
    * There are numerous "Meet Up" groups for campers, hikers, bicyclists and such.

Now...Get Out There and Get Camping! :happy:

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

In regards to the OCA (Ontario Camping Association) I think any reputable camp in Ontario will have certification from them. I remember the camp I went to when I was younger was and was quite proud of mentioning it as well as the camp I have done some web design work for. Also I have a brother who has worked at a few camps which also all have OCA recognition. I would think twice about attending or sending a child to a camp that is not accredited in Ontario.

Here's a link to what they are all about: http://www.ontariocampsassociation.ca/join-oca/what-oca-offers/

3. Northern Dancer

Thanks - I have directed three camps during my career - one being a member of the OCA.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like any camp that is not accredited is a poor one but that you wouldn't have to worry about going to one that is. I'm sure there are some great camps that are not accredited, but you have to be careful because a lot of them are not. That is the purpose of accreditation. Do you mind me asking what types of camp were you director at, were they all overnight camps?

5. Northern Dancer

I agree, by and large the OCA camps do have a reputation for excellence and there are standards that help assure quality. I recommend to parents that the OCA would be a good place to start looking if they were planning to send children to camp. There is also the CCI - Christian Camping International that have the same standards but are Christian orientated.

During my university days I was Program Director for the Toronto West End Y.M.C.A.'s Camp Norval. Later I was head of Leadership Development and Training for Camp Hilltop - an OCA camp. I directed Camp Restall for the United Church of Canada - an OCA approved camp. And now I'm part of the Care Team for Camp Wendake - under the umbrella of Camp Huron which is also OCA approved. Oh... thats three OCA approved out of four :(. All the camps were/are residential. Camp Norval, Camp Hilltop and Camp Restall have all hit the dust. Camp Wendake and Camp Huron are thriving with Camp Huron about to begin extensive renovations .

Draft saved Draft deleted