1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Campsites with Canoe Rentals as an Alternative to Portaging

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by campforums, Jun 22, 2015.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

For many, portaging is the part of the trip that many people dread. Carrying a heavy canoe over your head and several packs full of gear is usually not fun especially when the terrain is rocky and you have a long way to travel from the water to your destination.

A lot of camp sites offer canoe rentals now, which might be a good alternative for those of us who want to enjoy padding around the lake and exploring the little rivers without having to lug a canoe around when we are camping. What do y'all think?

2. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

One of my favorite campgrounds is Greenbrier River Campgrounds in WV. The owners not only have canoes and kayaks at the campground, but will also drive you upriver to launch.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That's pretty convenient, since not everyone has a rack on their car for moving boats around. I've rented kayaks before for some river kayaking as well but they are not the most practical for camping compared to canoes because there is not as much space for carrying stuff or extra people

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The reality is that where I go - you have to have canoe to get there in the first place. Portages and the like are just part of the program. That is the time you truly learn the lesson - bring only what you need. The other lesson that you learn is - you pack it in; you pack it out. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted