1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Can you really repair a tent?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by R. Zimm, Jan 2, 2013.

1. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I got to wondering this the other day. I never had the need to repair a tent but I know they have kits to do this. Does it work? How large of a rip can be fixed?

2. TABL

TABL Explorer

I'm not entirely sure. We had a tent thàt leaked pretty badly even though it was patched. But it was old.
    Now we have a pop up. It doesn't leak!!

3. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Of course you can.

In general, you want to repair it as soon as it is initially damaged. A small tear can quickly get bad in no time and lead to it not being worthwhile to even attempt.

I think the best method is usually to use a patch that is applied on both the inside and outside. This keeps the tear from getting worse -and- it helps prevent leaks from happening because it creates a waterproof seal.

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

If I have a canvas tent I know how to sew it up well enough. I have a kit for nylon tents that I never use. And that's - yeah that is the extent of my abilities in tent repair... outside of waterproofing.

5. Foster

Foster Newbie

I have seen movies. When they try to repair a tent, it falls back down. It mostly happens when its snowing.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What kind of material is your tent made of?

If it is canvas you might be able to get away with just sewing it up with needle and thread (or thin fishing line). I've only repaired a nylon tent before and I used used some special glue and a patch to cover up the hole.

7. joker

joker Newbie

I honestly cant but my brother has been to a lot of places for camping so I think he does.

8. Junkbots

Junkbots Newbie

I'm a firm believer in repairing rather than replacing. Just a 5 minute google search will tell you more than you'll ever need to know. They're pretty simple, tents. Unlike mechanical repairs, these are easy and quick! Please come back if you are considering replacing something camping related, you might be surprised by a cheap DIY method.

9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That's true that it is not a mechanical repair, however it can still be tricky because you want the tent to remain water proof/resistant after you have made the repair.

10. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

There are tent repair kits but like anything else it will make a difference how badly damaged the spot is as to how solid the repair will be. If it's a small clean tear or cut then it should be easy but if it is larger and odd shaped then it makes me wonder how good the repair will be.

Having some sort of emergency tent repair kit (or two) is always a good idea, they are not too big to add to your kit.

11. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

Most repairs to a tent or a temp fix at best. When you have a tear in the tent you risk leaks even after patching up the damage. If it a very small tear you probaly be ok on that.

12. spuncookie

spuncookie Newbie

I lived in a nylon tent pretty much all year last year. I also have a dog. I can personally assure you that yes, you can indeed repair a tent. It's really not even very hard. You just take the patch material and glue it over the hole. Really simple. I've fixed rips up to a few feet long, patched many many holes that were poked through by puppy paws. Reattached nets and pockets, repaired the screen portion of the door many times, zippers, everything really. Only time I wasn't able to repair something was when my friend's dog got a hold of my rain fly while we were all gone for the day. He ripped the whole corner off of it. Was a really nice goretex camouflage one. I had to have my dad general delivery me one of my other plain green ones on my next town run.

Obviously the larger the tear the harder it is to fix. But if you take your time follow the directions on the package and are just a tiny bit crafty most anything can be repaired.

Draft saved Draft deleted