1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Canoe seat upgrade

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by killeroy154, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

----> Had I known you were going to do that I would have yelled...STOP! One of the rules for canoe owners is "you never do that." But since you didn't ask :(.

2. Northern Dancer

I don't know...I think I may have mentioned before. Have you every thought of building your own canoe? It sure looks like you have the skills.

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes I want to build a wood strip canoe. I've been clearing the tools and stuff along a wall in my work area just for that. But I feel I must master the canoe seat first.

4. Northern Dancer

@ killeroy154 ...that's very true. I've often admired those special skills some people have and wanted to jump right in. One has to crawl and walk before one runs. On occasion people will compliment me on a skill and I think nothing of it only to realize later that it has taken me awhile to accomplish the same.

I have a hunch - when the time is right - it will be done.

Now about sitting in a canoe on hard ground surface - we never do that. I remember taking my first official canoe course. The instructor was most adamant when you are getting into/out of a canoe you use
    your paddle along the gunnels to distribute your weight to prevent damage [balance was important too]. Of course if you have an aluminum Grumman you might not have to worry about that.

upload_2018-4-6_22-5-1.jpeg

My colleague Percy Hugget had one and he could manage it like magic.

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

You can't beat the aluminum canoes.

Experimental seat #3. I plotted and drilled holes for weaving the cane. Gave it the big butt test and now it's ready to weave the seat material. I don't want to hear any fat jokes either. 20180415_105047.jpg 20180415_105719.jpg 20180415_110715.jpg 20180415_202929.jpg

pharrmgirl likes this.
  6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Making a little progress. The cat helped a little this time. I've got one more diagonal strand to go, and that should bring the shape in and finish the seat. But that will have to wait till next week, getting camping stuff together. Leaving Wednesday evening. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh cricky... I didn't load them right. 20180423_181253.jpg 20180423_204057.jpg

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I started to make a new seat for my solo canoe last August. After a couple of attempts, failures, with making one out the neighbors ash tree I gave up. I decided to make a couple out of oak for my tadem canoe. Why oak? Because oak is harder than the black ash I had, and just because I wanted to try. Plus I had a piece of sawmill cut in my wood stash. I replaced the original seat hangers because they weren't wide, deep, enough for my new seat. I cut the hangers out of some scrap cherry, it wasn't oak but I have no regrets. Finally a successful seat. It sits way more comfortable than the original seats. I have the other seat in progress.View attachment 4639 20180506_110623.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Almost done with stern seat. A couple of diagonal weaves, and then to install. Got up early and sitting on porch dreaming of new camping trips. 20180510_140709.jpeg 20180510_140338.jpeg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  10. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

That looks really nice, and much much better than the bar with what is guess is called a cushion attached to it, which is what I am current working with. I bet you get that satisfaction of making your own too, but either way this is probably something I need to look into, and this looks like something I might aim for.

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I enjoyed making the seats. White ash or hickory would've been better, but I didn't have any. I think the main thing to do is get your wood 1 1/4 thick and 1 3/4 or 2 inches wide. I got my plastic artificial cane from HH Gregg. It was a 1,000 foot roll and 12 of the pegs and edge binder for about 50 bucks which included shipping. I ordered twice as much then I needed, but I wasn't sure how much it took. There are great utube videos on how to make frames and weave the seats, and it can be done with a few simple tools tike hand saw and regular hand drill.

Two things I need to do is, work on my abbs like crunches and sit ups and I need a back rest. The exercises I can do lying in the floor while watching tv, and take periodic ice cream breaks. Ha.

I could go on. Thanks. I am rearranging my basement and planning on starting a wood strip canoe. I'll have to change my login to Sinking Canoe" if it doesn't float when I'm done. Well if I do start one I'll post something. Might be a couple of months?

Draft saved Draft deleted