1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Canoe Trip Readiness...

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Northern Dancer, Mar 20, 2015.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I really like wood as a material and when you are camping there is usually plenty around. There are no limits to what you could make with the right tools.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

:)

I also like the texture and the pleasing odour of plank wood. A campfire built correctly can be a delight with the gentle whiffs of pine that permeate the air.

You can make simple chairs, tables, tripods, hangers, and if you are really good, like a colleague of mine, you can carve interesting gadgets, trinkets and fun stuff.

3. campforums

I like the smell too, sometimes we would place cedar branches on top of the fire once it was burning to produce a pleasant smell. It does smoke up quite a bit though so make sure you are not sitting between the wind and the fire or you might end up coughing with a face full of smoke.

4. Northern Dancer

...and then of course one can use a small cedar plank to cook freshly caught lake trout. :)

upload_2015-4-1_18-6-14.jpeg ...tastes mighty good.

campforums likes this.
  5. campforums

Oh yes, that is very common for people BBQ-ing salmon even when they are not out camping. The tastes go pretty well together.

6. Northern Dancer

and then there is packing. I provided a list of things I [you could take] but any list is personalized. It depends on your experience and what it is you plan to do. Packing your personal stuff is an art and if you do it well it can be helpful. Here are some tips -

Everything you plan to put into a pack you lay out. Socks, underwear, t-shirts, pants, bathing suit need to be folded ranger style to take up the least amount of space. Wash one wear one [or two] is a good idea. I usually put my clothing in a large baggy to keep it water proof. By the way you can actually get baggies that will fit your whole pack; no I'm not talking about dry pack though I use those too. I usually pack with the heavier stuff like pots and utensils down at the bottom. Sometimes my light weight sleeping bag is inside at the lower end in a compartment easy gotten to from the outside. Emergency and immediate items are packed in the pockets on the outside. I always take an umbrella and it is always at the side. If there is rain I have it out immediately. I still see people madly looking for rain gear and while they are searching everything else gets wet. I have my umbrella out in seconds. I do not have anything dangling from my pack.

So...what kind of pack? Well...it depends on your needs and your pocket book. I don't believe that you need an expensive pack, but you do need a good one. The one that I own is designed for canoes in that the carry straps are neatly folded up and enclosed in the pack for easy storage in the canoe. ALL MY PERSONAL GEAR fits into one pack and one pack only.

@2sweed has an interesting article under Veteran & Beginner - check it out.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. Northern Dancer

We have a canoe trip coming up the second weekend in August for four days.

For those who might be interested, attached is my equipment list and menu plan.

Note: the menu plan is divided up among the group and the

Trip Master approves the same so there is no overlap.

Coffee and tea and such are common and are not usually included in the plan.

19xu34.jpg

8xu3yf.jpg

Hope you find the information helpful -
    it agrees with professional reference source.

8. campforums

My my, someone is organized. I know I should not even be surprised but it looks like you have your own personal watermark for all your documents as well.

Kinda like ours.

9. Northern Dancer

@campforums & CBers

I tend to be super organized upfront so that the rest of my time is pure enjoyment. And, may I say, it is training and personal experience. For example - It would never occur to me to chop wood at night. That is a job for after breakfast. When evening comes I don't want the mysticism and joy of a crackling fire dancing under the stars to be interrupted by some loon who has to express his masculine axe-man-ship. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSlQmTw72MVMnS4uaIDrwwX67R9c4nUnCzfKTGpTjPrK4xjjre-A.jpg

...something like that.

10. Northern Dancer

SAFETY NEVER TAKES A HOLIDAY

Make sure you have a safety kit on board your canoe.

In most jurisdictions, including Ontario
    you have to have a safety kit on board your canoe.
    Fines can be really hefty.

This is what I have.
    * One waterproof yellow bag with my totem/logo on it.

I do this to assure that I never have to go looking for anything.
    I use carabiners to attached to a thwart so it is handy but out of the way.
    Two rope lines - one for the front of the canoe and one for the back.

They are to be 10 feet long.
    These are used for towing and tying up the canoe when you dock.
    One bailing can and * soak up sponge.

I simply cut off the end of a plastic bleach container and shape the end.
    The sponge soaks up the water on the bottom of the canoe (to keep the dog comfortable).

One Ministry Approved rescue throw line that comes in it's own orange bag.
    * One red (with large white H painted) help flag.

* A small roll of duct tape.
    * One extra pair of large laces - just in case.
    I didn't know where else to put the laces so I would remember where they are.

OTHER EQUIPMENT

Life Jacket with attached whistle.
    One regular paddle.
    One spare paddle.

* Indicates other stuff that I bring.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKs1_Ot5f3Gx9oaj11Z35ibzZ8A0gJjEyBUYmRZYJi7M47B-zH.jpg upload_2015-8-2_21-31-16.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKktVEk0QQ_w8weLUZ0JkdWWQwW0Zqca0ffqGii7oKs64BhcjO.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSWBb3PPsQ2uchUadRF9p_aVWIdL2tw8ijxKN3H7t7xaHiwJ3eXQ.jpg

11. Northern Dancer

Time for Spring Training!

Two great sites [please list others that you have enjoyed]

:peeking: Darren's Outdoor Page - Canoe Trip Equipment List
    :peeking: Backcountry Canoe Tripping Equipment - Algonquin Park

Both these sites are practical, sensible and true to the spirit of canoe tripping.

Here is a suggestion the Algonquin People made about knives.

"A small pocket knife is also a valuable tool; the large belt knives may look impressive, but since you will not be tackling anything more dangerous than a piece of salami, they are unnecessary." :)

Draft saved Draft deleted