1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Car Canoe Carrier Roof Rack

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by campforums, Feb 8, 2020.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I have been looking to purchase a used canoe and if I do that I will also need a roof rack.

I have found it very confusing navigating all the different roof racks that are available. Some are very cheap while others are several hundred dollars, additionally only some are compatible with certain model cars.

Does anyone here own a roof rack and if so how did you decide on which one to get?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

O...kay

I use the simple set that you can pick up at Canadian Tire, keeping in mind that I have an attached roof rack on my van already. I use the foam blocks but got ratchet straps. I still have one strap at either end and two that go over the top (I know...I know...I just feel more secure carrying a sixteen-foot canoe on the roof ) - considering it is only 42 pounds. Sail will have similar products as well as other outdoor stores. The Canadian Tire Super Store has improved their camping gear significantly. You can purchase a steel rack but I never did or have used one. Hope this is helpful.

upload_2020-2-8_17-41-7.jpeg

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I purchased an inexpensive cross racks for my truck. All I needed was one cross rack on the roof because I have a simple rack that extends up from my trailer hitch for the other end.[​IMG] Maybe something like this? Like Northern Dancer said, make sure your canoe is strapped down across, front and back.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks guys, your recommendations line up with the other recommendations I've gotten that the expensive roof racks aren't necessary and the foam blocks with straps are good enough.

That's actually what I used last time when I was transporting a rental canoe. I'll see what they have at Canadian Tire :)

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...and then there is MEC, SAIL, and whoever - remember, always buy on sale. :)

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I still remember a lady at the auto parts store where I purchased my roof racks. She kept calling them Woof Wacks. I thought for sure she was consuming large quantities of alcohol while watching Monty Python.

campforums and Northern Dancer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted