1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Careful with the vegetation

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Alexandoy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I had some camping trips during my scouting days that one scoutmaster who led us in the trail was using a bolo to cut anything that is blocking his way. Bushes and branches of small trees are cut to clear the way for us, his scouts. But when I grew up and was appointed assistant scoutmaster, I learned that there are some plants that are beneficial that you do not know. One such plant is the mulberry which have sweet and sour fruits that are nice to eat when you have nothing to eat. And cutting the branches of the mulberry is probable if someone walking in the trail is using a bolo to cut clear the trail.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I've never had a reason to cut a new trail and play havoc with the vegetation. It tends to be frowned upon in this neck of the woods. As a Leave No Trace camper/canoe guy I tend to leave the bush just as it is - there are plenty of trails already started and open spaces that I can portage as necessary.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

Well I would say that anywhere you go you should really cone up on the local growth and what is around there, as much as it is possible at least. I think most places do offer a pretty good idea through some sources, but you can never be too sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted