1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Catch That Fish!

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Jun 20, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

The spot you select to start fishing at will depend on the time of day, and the type of water. During the heat of the day on fast running streams, the deep pools that lie beneath
    The riffles are general the best spots. Toward evening or in the early morning hours try floating your bait over the riffle itself, aiming for submerged logs and undercut banks and overhanging bushes.

In the heat of summer in lakes fish deep, as the fish will be seeking the coolness of the deeper water. During the morning or on summer evenings try the edges of the lake, for many fish will be feeding in shallow waters. In the early spring and late fall, lake fishing will be more productive on the edge or in shallow water because the fish will be seeking warmer water.

Sometimes fish can even be caught with your bare hands, especially in smaller streams that have undercut banks and in shallow pools left by high water. Place your hands slowly under the bank and close to the bottom, and let them reach the water temperature. Then move your fingers slightly until you come in contact with a fish. Work your hand gently along the belly of the fish until you reach the gills, and then grasp the fish firmly, just behind it’s gills. Hold on tight and lift your hand out of the water and over the bank.
    Be careful not to drop him to close to the edge because the fish will flop it’s self back into the water.

Fish can also be caught by carrying a roll of line and a package of fishhooks, with you. But if you have no hooks, improvise them from wire or nails, or crave them out of bone or hard wood. As another resort make yourself a spear using a stout stick and sharpening on end. Hopefully thou you will have a pole and reel, line and hooks, with you and only need to find some bait.

So now you caught a fish and you need to know the best way to clean and gut the fish, as well as, cook him. For this I am supplying you with to nice video links.

How to clean and gut, and skin a fish:

How to cook a fish:

All comments welcome. If you have some fishing tips please share them here.

campforums likes this.
  2. ctechguy

ctechguy Newbie

You have presented some really nice information here! A lot of good tips and tricks for a variety of situations.

In my neck of the woods, there are brook trout, lake trout and landlocked salmon to be had. Of course there are other species around like bass, perch and pickerel, but those warm water fish are easy to catch and are all non-native introduced species.

If anyone is trout fishing in Maine, I would urge people to practice catch and release, when it comes to trout and salmon. While you are allowed to keep some sort of bag limit in many of the bodies of water here, the brook trout population is in trouble due to factors like encroachment, pollution, and the repeated illegal introduction of non-native species. Wild brook trout in the eastern United States are on the decline, and will need help to be around in the future. It is just something to consider.

Please be aware of your particular locations' rules and regulations about the fisheries you intend to recreate at. While there is nothing wrong with harvesting fish legally for your eating pleasure, let's recreate responsibly so that our children and theirs as well will have something worthwhile still to enjoy.

Those are my opening fishing tips :)

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

A couple of asides:
    1. Not all fish are good for eating be it because of the toxic waters they swim in or because they are simply inedible species.
    2. Know they environment before you start fishing, you don't want to be caught off-guard by something like alligators or snapping turtles or leeches.
    3. Have some idea of what you're going to do with your catch - fish don't tend to keep well once caught and the timeframe for edibility differs profoundly depending on species and type.
    4. Its okay to cut the line - don't let your pride write a check your body can't cash.

4. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

Sadly I haven't caught any fish of my own.. But with this info, I plan to catch one with my bare hands! Can you eat the really small fish you catch or is it not worth in unless in survival mode?

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I think if not in survival mode, it would be best to follow the game rules and throw the little fish back in the water. The above video is of a man up in Canada, and some lake fish are smaller than norm. But he shows a quick easy way to clean a fish that is quite interesting. My dad used to just slice the belly open to remove the insides. I drather like the above video that shows a faster and cleaner way to get the job done.

Draft saved Draft deleted