1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Catch Them Frogs; How To Cook Froglegs

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Jul 28, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have always wanted to try eating frog legs. It is said the meat is very tender and tasty. Some people like to dip the legs in egg and flour and breading, but others go for the cajun spices to make a tasty meal.

First you have to catch them. Some folks use nets or spearing jigs, others use fishing poles with frog baits and some people are quick enough to grab them by hand. Most fishing is done at night in the south, but depending on your methods of catching them daylight works just as well.

Now once caught you must cut off the upper body and keep the leg portion. Watch this video to learn how to catch and cook frog legs.

Catch that frog

Clean the frogs

Cook the frog legs

2. H_Bachman

H_Bachman Newbie

Fascinating videos! When my mom was a kid, her dad would always go bullfrog hunting, and they'd fry them up. That's a part of childhood I missed out on, as I'm the first generation that wasn't raised in on a farm in a rural, swampy area. I do like frog legs, though, and the other day I had such a craving for them that I went to go get some from my local Asian supermarket. I grilled them in a skillet and then baked them to make sure they were cooked all the way through. It sure would be a primal treat to harvest them yourself, though, and then cook them over a campfire.

I'm sure it varies by state/province/etc., but I wonder what the legality of hunting frogs is? Is that something you'd usually need a hunting license or a permit to collect?

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I don't eat frogs as a rule - they are creepy, they tend to be vulnerable to environmental waste, and have done too many awful things to them to trust they won't murder me from the inside. So yeah. That said I've heard it tastes like chicken - is that true Bachman.

Draft saved Draft deleted