1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Catching and eating fish during trips

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by campforums, Feb 18, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Fish is generally very healthy and can be a nice change from typical dried camping foods. You don't really even need a rod to catch a fish, I've done it before with just a roll of fishing line, a hook and some live worms. However the thing I'm most worried about is in some areas you don't know how clean the water is and what you're putting into your body by eating from it and some types of fish aren't very good for eating at all (like Carp and Catfish). Does anybody here have experience in this area?

2. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Say wha? Catfish is awesome, and must never be insulted. I do fish - sometimes I do it the professional way with a rod and a tacklebox. Other times like when I'm camping I pull out a roll of line, one of several hooks, and then a crack open a log for something to stick on the hook.

Seriously though any fish you eat is likely to be an awkward exercise in gambling, but that's true of most things in life. I mean trout are apparently living, breathing repositories of estrogen at this point but most people still eat them.

3. campforums

That's true, some areas have barely any fish at all and the chances of catching one are quite slim.

Also, I didn't know that trout were high in estrogen. Do you have any idea what causes that?

4. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

One advantage of using a "hand line" as mentioned is you may not need a fishing license in that area. You really need to check the local regulations where ever you intend to fish not only for needing a license but on "seasons" for certain species of fish. Some are blocked out from legal fishing during their mating / spawning times.

5. Fitness

Fitness Newbie

The only time I ate fresh caught fish was on a sailing trip on the ocean. We were a good distance from shore so we didn't have to worry about pollutants or anything like that. I can't remember what we caught, but it was amazing! It was one of the oilier fishes that I wouldn't even consider eating normally, but catching it and cooking it so fresh made all the difference in the world. I would consider eating fish caught while camping and would believe most places would have warnings if the local water was contaminated.

6. campforums

Exactly, if you can't even drink the water without purifying the fish can't be any better. Did you cook the fish aboard the boat? I've seen some people with larger boats that have an entire barbecue setup!

7. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

I don't have any experience in this genre but I became very interested in your post. I think it is a very good idea to catch fish than to bring your own food. My friends and I were contriving to go on a camping trip, and I decided we would eat sandwiches, snacks, marsh mellows amplified with chocolate. I'm guessing that would have been extremely boring foods, and very fattening. I would be open to catching fish because I am very adventurous--I love to try new and intriguing things. My friends on the other hand, I don't think that they would be open to the idea of catch fish on their own for dinner. Moreover, I have never heard of this but I am guessing that there has to be some sort of device that will inform you if the water is clean or not. Hopefully there is so that I can purchase it before taking this trip.

8. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

In general ocean fish are better to eat than fresh water fish but on average, more fresh water fish are edible. Many salt water fish (especially predators) are at the top of the food chain so any pollutants in the ecosystem accumulate in their organs and flesh. Also some salt water fish have poison spines and such.

If you know what area you will be in, take the time and investigate what fish are the best to eat and what to look out for. Check the Internet or your local library.

9. Karto

Karto Newbie

I wouldn't fish until I would know for sure that the spot is clean and the fish are healthy.

If everything is fine, then it's all good! I love fishing and fish is one of my favorite foods. I'm more of a natural eater as well so I like catching and cooking my own food. :)

10. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I have fished out of lakes, ponds and rivers and didn't have any problems eating the fish. All the fish I ever caught in the wild I cooked and it came out beautifully. When catching carp fish we make a a mexican soup out of them everytime.

11. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

I love catfish too. It is my most favorite fish. But, I don't know about eating it straight from the water after I caught it. Because afterall catfish are bottom feeders. And I would not know how to clean it properly. But I guess the same goes for any fish that we caught ourselves.

12. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Lmao! Catfish is my absolutely favorite wild caught fish to have actually. It's huge in my area. Carp is considered "bleh" but catfish is prime. We actually use plugs and peanut butter/stink bait specifically to try to lure in more catfish.

13. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I have only caught catfish on bait but am impressed with those who fish for them with lures. What type of lures do catfish go for? I am imagining deep fished large plastic worms or something.

14. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Newbie

There is nothing more appealing than catching your own fish but I lack knowledge in fishing, I have no idea of bait or tools to use so I normally just take some camp food with me. I would also not have it in me to gut a fish! Also I would imagine your clothes would smell soo bad LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted