1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Cell phone signal

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Feb 6, 2017.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Fixen to go camp and fish on a remote lake that has very little to no cell signal. I am not much for going off grid. I like to be able to communicate to the outside world if I need to. I went with my brother on a remote lake one spring and it would have been impossible to get help if there was an emergency. We were camped in a hollow miles from the road with our backs to a steep mtn side. Oh he loved it, of course he is retired from the military might I add. Anyhow I invested in a cell phone signal booster and received it in the mail today, and took off for an area near the Virginia mtns where I knew there was little to no cell service. It boosted signal enough to text message back to civilization from the no service area I was in. I am pleased with it but now I need to make a carrying case for it along with a separate power supply. ab1a88aa891b4c61fec52cb01287a5ea.jpg The book is for size reference, good book by the way. I can use the power sources on any 12 volt system, so the boat we will be taking isn't an issue. But, I would like to have a power source in the tent if I need one. I will be looking into that.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...All things Bright and Beautiful - the Lord God made them all. Every time I see Herriot's book that is the hymn that comes to mind.

ALSO :) make sure you fill out a float plan - that is the expectation of those of us who go solo or are camping beyond the tourist crowd. I have a thread on Camping Babble [on the water] that explains the same or you can check with your Coast Guard that has suggestions and a model. There are other devices on the market depending on how often you would be doing this sort of thing

upload_2017-2-7_10-50-4.png And on our side of the Boarder... upload_2017-2-7_10-49-2.jpeg :)

Attached Files:

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Gee your all's got a prettier symbol for your coast guard then we do. Ours looks like what one of my uncles had tattooed on his shoulder. Yeh realy I think my uncle Bob had the anchors away and all that stuffed tattooed on his, and a hoola dancer girl tattooed on the other that he could twist his bicep and make her dance. Ha well, it won't be that secluded. We will be staying on an island, so hopefully his boat won't sink or drift away..... ooh that has happened before, I forgot about that one. Yes a float plan is a good advice. Thanks.

alxx1100 and Northern Dancer like this.
  4. alxx1100

alxx1100 Newbie

96e5f3bf950eda30d87e6ba72b563156.jpg

Make one of these

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

5. Northern Dancer

...so how heavy is this thing? Would it be more efficient than solar power? :)

6. alxx1100

alxx1100 Newbie

They sale them on ebay but harbor freight has the boxes. A plastic or steel box and you add a battery and any plug type you want. This one has a cb radio

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

7. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

If it's not too late to chime in, I use the Goal Zero Sherpa 100 with 2 Nomad solar panels. Mine has your choice of use: inverter for things needing plugging in, 2 usb ports, 12 volt plug for things like the power point adapter and a laptop dedicated plug in source. We use it to recharge our cell phones and to run my wife's CPAP machine ever night. Check then out at Goal Zero, then shop around if your interested, you can buy them cheaper outside of the Goal Zero site. Cheers, Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

8. Northern Dancer

------------------------------- > :)
    Right on! I use the Goal Zero products too.

This is the item I use most -

upload_2017-2-15_13-13-25.jpeg On a rainy day or night I can watch my comedy videos or read a good book in the late evening hours.

9. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

20161020_113323.jpg

Yes sir, I enjoy using this product. On your picture, I didn't recognize the silver item, what was that? Then solar panel and finally that white gizmo is a hanging lantern, correct? I'm very curious about your gear and I look forward to hearing more about the different things you have and use. You said you have a penchant for gear, I'm guessing we are related I have the same penchant and can listen and talk about it on and on!

I hope to be able to post so I can find and be exposed to new/different equipment. Love it! Bibs

Bibsoutdoors

10. Northern Dancer

...you definitely don't have to be curious ask away :) Bibs! You have come to the right place to "talk about it on an on". [I might even talk more than you.] I don't know if I'm boasting or apologizing but I have two rooms full of equipment - all used in different situations and circumstances. I'm very fortunate to be able to be away for long periods of time.

I have purchased items I though were a good idea at the time only to learn that I already have it - still packaged and not used. So to stop that nonsense I do a complete inventory in the fall - and then I plan what I might like for the next season.

From canoe barrels to Dutch ovens and cast iron skillets, from flash lights to lanterns - kerosene and solar, from tarps to shelters, from summer sleeping bags to winter ones, from simple made wood stoves to hot tent stoves I have it all.

Imperial_Crest.jpg My redesigned crest (2016) - Motto - "For Altars & Firesides"

IMG_0533.jpg This is a tent night table I made in 2015. The brass plaque reads - "This is the Room you Want"

11. Northern Dancer

------------------------------- >
    The silver looking cylinder is the battery that is charged by my Boulder solar panel and yes that is a light. I have four lights though I find two more than adequate to light up my tent. You can plug in a computer, phone, CD/VHS etc. As I mentioned I watch comedy videos [with fresh made popcorn] some evenings. :)

12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I love that engraved paw print on your table ND. Shoot y'all got some cool stuff. I was just thinking of hooking up a couple of 6 volt flashlight batteries.

13. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

@Killeroy,

I'm not intelligent enough to think of, or use a couple of 6 volt batteries to get the job done. What cost you in purchasing two batteries I paid hundreds more for a gadget someone else made to help my simple mind out with and in the process is putting money in his pocket while emptying my own! I love and hold a small degree of envy for people like yourself who sees a problem and nails a solution. Great job! Good luck! Bibs

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154 likes this.
  14. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

ND,

EXCELLENT! I'm all up for the equipment chats. . .When you start them I'll dive in. I don't have anything close to the amount of equipment you have but that won't stop me from being enthralled! Say, I do like your new crest. That's one that could stand the test of time. Some of our camping is so different, I'm positive you have equipment I've only heard about and possibly have never even seen. The thought of sharing information makes my insides smile so again, I'll be picking up on what you start! AMB, Bibs

Bibsoutdoors

15. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

P.S. ND
    Your table looks very nice, I'm guessing that is for large tent camping, like hot tents in the winter and canoeing tents in the summer? My wife would like that but I don't believe my for season expedition tent ifs forgiving enough to accommodate it! HA HA. Bibs

Bibsoutdoors

16. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I have to start proof reading.

Bibsoutdoors

17. Northern Dancer

...I bought this tent with the idea I would purchase a parcel of land, build a platform and use if for the summer. Things didn't work out the way I planned. Anyway this baby is 12 x 20 = a cabin tent with a stove jack.

IMG_0853.jpg IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

18. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

This is some serious gear. When I was a kid my first tent was a small cabin tent I used in the back yard. After college I bought an four season expedition tent from Eureka and used that in the Idaho mountains and everywhere else I camped. My wife and I bought a four season tent from Mountain Hardware six years ago. So as you can see we were ground dwellers and I mean on the ground, no standing in those things. Shortly after acquiring the MH we hit into hammock camping, I've never gone back to the tent. Margo (my wife) uses it instead of her hammocks because she chooses to stay with our aging Bassett Hound in it.

I believe she would like us to have something like this if her heart wasn't set on getting some kind of RV. I'm not ready for one of those yet, but I'm sure the day is coming. I ran track through college and did a lot of karate. Front snap kicks and the such over the years has given me sore knees, so, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Maybe a guy could pull something like this in with a four wheeler. Ah, the noise is so intrusive. The room it appears you have is enormous. Do you set up with cots? A stove Jack tells me you can safely cook inside. How many people employee this tent with you or do you enjoy mansion like living outdoors? Lol. Maybe a butler or two hey!

At first glance I thought it was canvas but looking at it I can see it is a nylon. The weight must still be fair. How do you set up inside with yours? Is it for enjoyment or possibly hunting, fishing all the above, non of the above? How many rooms can you make up inside? Is it floored through out? How well does it breath? How well does it handle the wind and storms? How many tie out points do you use? The windows are covered in bug netting, clear rain protection and dark colored awnings? I'm guessing 10 feet tall, although I should just guess 12 feet at the center supports? How tall near the sides by the windows? Do you place tables and chairs inside? I just can't know I've never seen one so big. I know this, my tent would fit nicely inside yours! Do you utilise a commode inside? Is there a place to hang a shower? We bought a separate shower tent to use both as a shower and a place to put a portable commode. It keeps my wife from walking outside of our camp at night to take care of business.

I would like to hear more about it and how you generally use it. The land idea sure sounded like a winner, then I guess real life turns up at your doorstep. Awesome looking set up. . .Bibs

Bibsoutdoors

19. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSynyLqwrhI6e6q0AL6oI2e0JRPDEubuXRWqgu6Dl5HaBdXCbV02Q.jpg Go nuts!

20. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow that's uuuhbgfddshkhgccgcgg Oh sorry. I got a huge plop of drool on my touch screen.

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted