1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Checking the weather

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by happyflowerlady, Jan 23, 2015.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Sometimes the weather can change fairly rapidly, and it is a good idea to have a way to check it when you are out camping. I remember reading about a group of campers who were trapped because a flash flood cut off the road that they needed to get back out of the camping area. Even though the rain was further away, it poured down a canyon and flooded the road.
    This is another good thing where having a smart phone (like my iPhone) can have an important function.
    Assuming that you have a 4G connection, and can connect with a cell; you can also use the phones internet capability to check the weather. That way, if there are any storms headed towards you, you will have an alert.
    My phone also has a police scanner, compass, GPS, and flashlight, so it is a pretty handy little all-around tool.

Here is a link to a weather report that I like to check every day. It not only shows you what the weather is like worldwide; but also reports on earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, and solar flares.
    If you listen to today's report, then you can just subscribe to the channel, and it will be easy to find on youtube every day.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

At base camp I have a radio/weather radio system that gives me weather reports in my immediate vicinity. When I'm in the interior I use the stuff I learned at Camp University; I have my M.C. degree - Master of Camping. :) Yep, I sure do. If you don't believe me I have attached my Diploma.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Camp University
    was a fun group that got together to improve our skills for awhile. It was a bit of a lark [other than good stuff we learned]. I am a graduate of the University. You will notice that Prime Minister Stephen Harper of Canada is the Chancellor and the President of the University is Her Majesty the Queen.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

sbhljl.jpg

See...now you know why I know so much. o_O

happyflowerlady and campforums like this.
  3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I also see that Northern Dancer is your correct name. How amazing is that. I hope you have a regular name, nickname you go by on other occasions. lol o_O:rolleyes::D

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. Northern Dancer

That I do - I actually have two legal names that I can use. Northern Dancer is my camp name and it guards my identity, not that I'm into intrigue. I just prefer to shed my public existence to enjoy another aspect of a life style that is outside my daily life and routine.

:bear: I've heard him say as he looks into a mirror in the morning, "Who am I today?"

5. 2sweed

@ Dancer, I can not resist the urge to tease you a little bit. :bear: Reese you would do well as a stand up or laying down comedian. I like your sense of humor. :)

6. Northern Dancer

:bear:
    Thank you @2sweed! It's hard pretending that I'm a dog looking like a bear....then, maybe I am a bear? Oh ya, Northern Dancer thanks you too.

happyflowerlady and 2sweed like this.
  7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Nice diploma, I hope you have it framed nicely and hung somewhere on your tent wall.

8. Northern Dancer

Should you have enough experience and are an amiable person you might be eligible to get your diploma.

There are seven qualifying and very gruelling questions that you need to have correct answers to. Are you ready?

Do you like camping? YES :) or NO :(
    Do you enjoy campfires? YES :) or NO :(
    Do you enjoy the trails and water ways? YES :) or NO :(
    Do you belong to some prestigious
    camping organization like Camping Babble? YES :) or NO :(
    Do you love the outdoor life? YES :) or NO :(
    Do you know how to laugh heartily? YES :) or NO :(
    Is there someone who will testify that
    you answered all these difficult questions? YES :)or NO:(

What is you bank account number?
    Aw...sorry....wrong question. :asshat:
    This is only for the rich and famous...well at least rich.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    campforums likes this.
  9. campforums

Haha, I think that would be a yes for all 7.

I must admit, I have had more grueling tests than that.

10. Northern Dancer

You had harder tests than this one? That's so hard to believe.;)

Anyway - looks good. I will need to speak to Prime Minister Stephen Harper [our Chancellor] and Her Majesty the Queen [our President]. Harper is easy to get to but speaking to the Queen could be a bit tricky; I wasn't the most favourite student. I think it had something to do with that porcupine stew I made - apparently I forgot to remove all the quills. :( I got a "C" though.

What illustrious name would you like on your Diploma if the Senate says yes and approves you partition? [I mean petition.]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    happyflowerlady likes this.
  11. campforums

I never knew that those two were such avid campers :p

I'm not sure, I don't really have any camping nicknames like yourself. Any suggestions?

12. Northern Dancer

...now that could be a loaded question. Let me see - is there an animal that could be your totem? Indian names are good if you keep them short. A mythical name? When I was a cub scout leader I was called Baloo - the bear, from Kipling's the Jungle Book. Here are some names of camping people I know. Chief, Scouter, Mag, Hunter, Wild One just to name a few. Is there a peculiar term in the computing world?

Now remember...you only use this name when you are in the wild with friends and people you know.

13. campforums

Well, I suppose any animal could be my totem right? Picking one that is a good representation is the hard part. I kind of like the idea of an Indian/native name. Any reason you didn't use that one over "Northern Dancer"?

Oh, there are plenty. One that came to mind is because I remember everybody laughing because it sounded like saying Big/Little Indian but was really Endian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

14. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Carving my nickname... or a couple of them actually... would make for one obscene totem.

campforums likes this.
  15. Northern Dancer

ha ha ha ha........

16. Northern Dancer

Sounds good...as long as you are prepared to live with it. I was sort of thinking of...

"Erik"
    Commander Camping Babble

it has a nice ring to it, a little majestic and could fit right up there along side your degree diploma. :thumbsup:

17. 2sweed

Here is a good link for reading about totems and maybe finding one that you can identify yourself with. Of course there are many different special names or symbols one can use, but this page will give @campforums and @MacGyver, some ideas. http://www.manataka.org/page236.html

campforums likes this.
  18. Northern Dancer

Like the signature - gives one the impression there are some dreams packed there.

campforums likes this.
  19. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Sorry. I wanna see the aforementioned obscene totem carved in my honor.

campforums likes this.
  20. campforums

Thanks for the link, it makes for some interesting reading. So am I supposed to pick an animal for my totem based on these descriptions?

21. campforums

I am getting a good chuckle thinking of all the offended people coming across your totem wherever it would be.

22. 2sweed

Yes, you could do that in picking the one that most fits your personality. @Dancer picked a bear and I picked a wolf, so what is your totem Erik?

Draft saved Draft deleted