1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Checking the weather

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by happyflowerlady, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

:finger: ...Eagle might be a good totem for Erik . Let me see....Erik Eagle OR Eagle Erik or maybe just plain - The Eagle. I can see him soaring over unsuspecting Camping Babblers, swooping down on a camp site and snatching someone's hamburger right out of their very fingers. I can see it all...the again maybe not. :troll:

But the Dean will not approve an application without a name, or some kind. :(

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Soaring Eagle or Sly Fox or Babbling Moose or Otter Reach. This takes some deep thinking and Erik's personal choice. :rolleyes::)

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That reminds me of a funny story. Not involving an eagle, I think it was a sea gull actually but it did swoop down and snatch somebody sandwich. Their reaction was a mixture of disbelief and anger.

The summer camp I went to as a kid used a turtle, a fox and an eagle as their hierarchy of badges you could earn for completing different skills. If I remember correctly, only a few hundred people in the camp's long history have ever achieved the highest (eagle) level before they grew out of being a camper.

4. Northern Dancer

Possibly. But I do not believe you can (nor have I ) ever grown out of being a camper. I can be just as zany now as I was when I was fourteen - and may be even more so. [Now that I am educated.]

We had a secret/open society and every male in camp was eligible to receive the award. The Eagle Society - youth and leaders were selected by peers on the basis of outstanding qualities in leadership and performance. Members of the group wore a special Indian beaded headband that distinguished them as faithful members. They were initiated by a very elaborate ceremony before the Chiefs of the Confederation in the darkness of night.

5. campforums

Alot of summer camps embrace Native American names and ceremonies (including the one I went to) but that is something I can't really say that I do a lot of on my own trips. Some of it was pretty fun.

I didn't mean that I am not still a camper!! Of course I am, but just not at that particular camp :p

6. Northern Dancer

Of course...we just need to be reminded sometimes. Can I ask the camp that you went to?

7. campforums

Sure, it was Camp Tawingo near Huntsville, ON

8. Northern Dancer

Aw...I might have guest. The famous Camp Tawingo with Jack Pearce and boys. One of the more popular and famous camps in the Province. Right up there with the best. I have a few of his books and a tape, Clap Your Hands with Jack and the Boys Camp Band. Gulp - made in 1980. Jack died in August 2013; quite a remarkable man.

How many years did you go?

9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

To be honest we never did check the weather reports for bad weather. He had the tide calendar. My brother always checked that. The position of the moon. Certain fish only comes out depending on the new and full moon. As for bad weather, we would take a look at the sky and see if there was an overcast. Also we would check the direction of the wind. Depending on the direction of the wind, it would tell us if volcanic ash was on our way, or portuguese man of war was on it's way.

10. Northern Dancer

There is good wisdom in what you say @JoshPosh and I concur. You have to be attentive and conscious of what is going on around you. When there is dead silence all of a sudden - it means something is happening. When the temperature drops from hot to chilly in a few moments - something is up. I've learned to pay attention to my attention when others don't seem to appreciate what is happening around them. I learned that when it becomes dark outside and the birds are quiet we are in for a fierce storm, Not just a storm but a fierce one.

11. campforums

Wow I am surprised that you know so much about the camp. Small world eh? Sounds like you know some things I don't. What are these books and tapes you speak of? I went about 6 years but never really knew Jack that well as he was already quite old by my time so Mike Pierce and his wife Tia were running things by that time. I didn't hear of his passing, that is quite a shame, he had such a big impact on so many people.

12. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

A lot of people here are checking the weather lately. I think Summer must be over.

Weather_zps54677de5.png

13. Northern Dancer

He was one of the Chiefs of the Ontario and Canadian Camping Associations. If I recall he has roots in the YMCA. Checked on the back shelf...let's see...here's one - there's another. Talk about history. o_O

Anyway here are a few (there may be more).

Copy Critters
    Camp Fire Programs
    More Camp Fire Programs
    Clouds on the Cloths line and other Games
    High above the Thundercloud
    and I do have the tape Clap Your Hands - sold at Scout Shops for years (probably still do).

14. Northern Dancer

It was - 30 Celsius that's - 22 Fahrenheit in American this morning when I headed out. The good news in our part of the forest is that the days are defiantly getting longer. That can only mean one thing - spring. Spring is around the corner.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5Q8Z7HoffGqsBXI1Hf58btA6xCqrTJUTQnTTvXcxHrfL6u80LFA.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  15. campforums

16. Northern Dancer

...looking at sometime in March though I think it may end up being April. It's a busy time at work as you might expect. :angelic:

campforums likes this.
  17. campforums

Ah yes, I almost forgot about the certain schedule you follow ;)

18. campforums

So it sounds like it is sorta of an instructional guide for running a successful camp program?

19. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

Well the good news is that it has gotten a lot more accurate and makes it pretty easy to plan ahead. Of course you probably need to have your emergency stuff but even then you would likely know to expect it, but always a good idea to double and triple check.

20. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

In my camping days when I was younger, it's the wilderness that is often our destination. We always choose to camp near a river or creek. In those days, there was no internet and the weather bureau was kind of primitive yet. One camping trip in that boondocks was a big disappointment when the heavy rains came. We were surprised because it was a sunny morning when we left the parking area. But after walking for 3 hours, the skies went gloomy. It was fortunate that we were able to pitch our tents. However, we didn't notice that water from the creek would overflow and go straight to our campsite.

Now that it's always a family camping trip, we are conscious of the weather. If there is a forecast of rain a week before, we postpone our trip just to be sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted