1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Cold Weather Tent Questions

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Junkbots, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Junkbots

Junkbots Newbie

It's still a bit cold where I live, but I've got 'the itch'. I need to get out and go camping and I need to know what I should consider for cold-weather tents. The bulk of the snow is out of the way this year, but temps fluctuate above and below freezing.

On a related note, do any of you have any tips for ice fishing? I just might try it out but I'm not sure how safe it is this time of year. I'm relatively sure it's safe but relative assurance isn't enough to stake my life on! What gear should I bring with me and ho much does a cheap shanty usually cost?

Thanks in advance:)

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Now as a Florida Native I just do not get why and how you would fish for ice? Can't you just find it on the ground all winter long? And why would it be dangerous? Is there ice that bites?

Or is that related to the "yellow snow" I heard Frank Zappa sing about?

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

For the winter camping, snow and the frozen ground will probably be your biggest issue. If there is no snow like you mentioned then you would probably be able to get away with the same tent you use all year round. However I would check to make sure you have a way to secure the tent since driving stakes into frozen ground might be impossible. There are different kinds of stakes I know which can be secured with heavy stones instead.

As for the ice fishing, are you looking to rent a cottage as well or just make it a day trip to the lake? As for prices, the places in my area that rent huts are generally around $50 for the day, usually this includes fuel for the heaters and sometime bait.

4. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

From the way it sounds, you should probably be looking for a tent that will keep you warm irrespective of the surprises that may happen. Dont take any chances of having to cut short your trip because of bad weather. If you are not going to get something specially made for ice conditions, you have to find very warm clothing instead just in case things do not turn out well. Its a way of minimizing the risk.!
    You do not need to own any of these tents. Many camps already have their own, unless you want to camp in the middle of no where! They are likely to supply you with appropriate tents for the season. That shouldn't cost you a fortune as it would be less than $60 for the tent and other supplies. It however depends where you live. Different places may charge differently

5. Masoom001

Masoom001 Newbie

In winter season, when you are stuck with cold, then you have to use Marquee made from lacquered white PVC. Because they specially designed from this point of view, keeping away the hardness of weather from you. You can also in use it in Summer, when there is hotness in weather.
    Waiting for your reply.

6. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

If I were to opt to go out camping in the cold and snow, I would look for a good tent that has a hole flap for a camp stove. I mean why freeze all night with your fire outside if you don't have to. It is a big decision picking the brand of tent to own and the size. I have been watching video's of other campers and woodsmen, and many of them say to be careful about the size as the bigger ones don't warm up well when your counting on your body heat and breathing to warm the tent.

On the other hand if you have a tent that allows a stove, then extra room for your gear and to stack dry firewood would be a plus. Also the ability to stand up in the tent is another plus. I guess it is a personal choice of too stay warm with just a good sleeping bag or to be in comfort with a heating wood-stove.

As for ice fishing, I have never done it so I will leave this comment for others, other than to say it might be best to go with other's that have done it to learn how to know if the ice is safe to walk on and best places to drill your hole. Good Luck with scratching your "itch" to go camping. :)

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Have you seen these types of hand warmers which run on lighter fluid? Basically it is a lighter with holes in the cover so that air can feed the flame. Apparently they can last for several hours and put out a decent amount of heat.

http://www.zippo.com/product.aspx?id=1025148

1_1025148_FS.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted