1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Commonly found edible plants

Discussion in 'Food' started by campforums, Nov 27, 2012.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

You can check you local library for books on edible plants where you will be camping but I would not take the chance myself. Just get some dried herbs! You likely have a few small bottles in your kitchen that are half empty, use those up first!

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Bah! But that's no fun! lol

4. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

True, that's why they call me "Mr.Safety" around here! At the very least you might get an itch but many plants are dangerous to humans and you can't wait around to watch if some animal eats it can you?

But hey, if you like "living on the edge" than who am I to stand in your way offering that pesky common sense!

5. Norrwen

Norrwen Newbie

Thanks, I've always hunted, but never had fresh wild plants to go with it on the side. ;) Thanks for this.

6. TABL

TABL Explorer

My neighbor has been teaching me about this. It's pretty cool!

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

That's a great article and I recognized a couple of the weeds from my yard when it gets too shaggy.

But I would be worried about wild plants having animal urine on them. I would also be worried that maybe I would unknowingly pick a plant that looked similar to one of the pictured plants and accidentally poison myself.

This is why I don't hunt or forage. The last campground I stayed at had a vending machine and the only foraging I did was in my pockets for change to buy a Snickers bar.

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I don't forage. I can tell you the age, sex, and race of a femur at 20 paces, but give me a plant I literally couldn't tell you much of anything to save my life. Plants aren't really my thing - trees, certain herbs, very kinds of a carnarvious bent - but not really my thing at all.

9. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I wouldn't take a chance of eating edible plants out in the wild unless I have an expert with me. I would like him to eat it first and see what happens to him before I eat it. If you make one mistake of eating the wrong plant because it looks like another plant that is edible ,then your screwed. If you really have to eat it edible plants to survival a rule of thumb is to see what kind of plants the animals of that area or eating. If they are eating it ,then you have a good chance that it isn't going to harm you.

10. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Some wild plants are easy to identify, like blackberries and apples, elderberries and cattails, even using pine needles to make tea. But if your not sure about the plants then it is best avoiding them all together.

I read a good book once about two women who were kidnapped by Shawnee Indians, in 1755, in Virginia. They escaped and had to live on wild plants and fruits and nuts, as they made their journey back home. The book is a true story. It is called Follow The River, by James Alexander Thom. Anyways, they ate what they found and some of it was good and other things made them violently sick. So it is a good guide in the sense that it shows how to women survived in the wilderness alone with no gear or protective clothing and lived to tell the tale.

Books that are true to life can be a interesting way to understand the need for knowing how to survive in an emergency on the trail.

Draft saved Draft deleted