1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Cooking An Egg In A Potato

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Jan 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I recently watched a video showing how to cook an egg in a potato. The method show was a bit crude, but I think it is a wonderful idea and thus am sharing the way to do it.
    Use a nice long baking potato and cut a long wedge off of one side. Use a spoon to crave out a deep hole. Crack a egg and put it in the potato. Use some short clean sticks to fasten the wedge back over the hole. At this point I would wrap the potato in foil to protect it's outer side from the camp ashes, making the whole potato edible.
    Push the foil wrapped potato into the hot coals and let cook 20-30 minutes. Check to see if it is done by piercing it with a fork. Then unwrap foil enough to remove the wedge cover and season to taste, and enjoy the goodness of a baked potato and egg.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I've learned of a lot of interesting ways to cook an egg other than in a pan that have been shared on this site. It seems like you can cook an egg is basically anything, my favorites have been the ones where you can eat the cooking container also :D

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I think I've gone through the mill, sort of speak, and tried just about everything when it comes to cooking eggs. I guess we have all cooked breakfast in a bag? I do cook eggs in a baggie a lot. You can throw just about anything in to spice it up. Seal the bag, throw it into boiling water, knead it a few times and walla - great eggs. The great thing as we know - there is no wash up.

upload_2015-1-25_19-44-3.jpeg

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. Northern Dancer

Remember this?

upload_2015-1-25_19-52-22.jpeg :)

campforums likes this.
  5. campforums

The plastic bag method is super convenient but I try to avoid it, a lot of plastics tend to release harmful chemicals (especially) when they are heated and I doubt that those cheap plastic baggies are well suited for cooking. Nowadays there are many harmful things which are still widely used because they are so hard to avoid.

6. Northern Dancer

There is always that possibility. I've read the studies - not totally universal - so I select the best bags on the shelf. Still a lot safer than a lot of goop we slap on our bodies. Besides that - I don't do it ever day.

campforums likes this.
  7. campforums

^ Moderation is always a good policy

8. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I have NO idea what the things in the little paper bags on the campfire are. The bags don't get too hot and catch on fire ? They aren't really grocery bags, and I just think they are?

I am sure they would totally disintegrate from the heat if left on there very long. So.......what ARE they and what are you cooking in there??

9. Northern Dancer

...you have to keep an eye on them for sure. But...they are just plain paper lunch bags. It's called - Breakfast in a Bag.

Everyone has their own recipe but what I have done in the past is throw some hash brown potatoes, bacon slices cut in two, (you can use ham of course) an egg or two - it all seems to work out. BUT...though it is fun to show off these peculiar and fun methods and call food by ridiculous names - I prefer a more conventional method of cooking and I really don't like people putting in food colouring or naming my food.

campforums likes this.
  10. 2sweed

Don't you put a bit of grease on the outside of the bag or rub the bacon around on the bottom inside of the bag before dropping in the potatoes and eggs? I think I watched a video showing how to do this neat idea.

11. Northern Dancer

...just a minor point :).

12. 2sweed

I thought that was what helped protect the bag from burning?? I was asking a question by the way. I have not tried with trick, but it sounds like an interesting way to cook. :confused::oops:

13. Northern Dancer

I've tried a lot of this stuff - I will not be giving up my trusty cast iron fry pan soon :blackeye:. I've done some of this fun stuff to arrest the attention of youth. When I've got that I can go on to other camp cooking lessons.

Hope you are doing supper well in your neck of the woods. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRn4kM7F4o621OowFFVBJOkuhXd5aV963Ui4ukhlykIgvfXTAQ_XA.jpg Coming Soon

14. 2sweed

Things are improving with extra help and the snow is not too deep here, although, it is cold. Supper was super with homemade chicken soup. And never ever give up on a trusty cast iron skillet. :)

15. Northern Dancer

I prepared my Yukon Stew earlier this evening for the week end as I am away camping. Though there will be access to a lot of food I put my stew into a Dutch oven and just leave it there for the whole weekend. I heat it up, eat some of it, and just leave the rest to freeze. When I'm ready I repeat the performance.

It's cold here too and there is a storm scheduled for Thursday giving the plow people an opportunity to clear the highways before I leave on Friday.

16. campforums

Wouldn't smearing grease on it make it burn easier (if not ignite) instead of protecting it from the flames? Grease would be helpful to help cook it though and provide a layer to prevent the egg from leaking through before it finished cooking.

17. Northern Dancer

...an egg in a potato?
    Can you imagine our Winter Camp Leader cooked a turkey dinner, with all the trimmings at Saturday supper when the temperature was already plummeting. It was super delicious. He used a deep fry can to cook the turkey that was succulent as Kentucky fried chicken.

campforums likes this.
  18. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

I've seen this too! Never tried it though, but I might give it a shot (nothing wrong with crude every now and then). There are a surprising number of ways to cook eggs.

19. campforums

Sounds delicious, what is a deep fry can? I am having trouble picturing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted