1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Cranberry-Almond Camp Cereal Mix

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Dec 26, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Great for cold mornings for this spiced oat cereal will warm you from the inside out and give you energy for the day.

Cranberry-Almond Cereal:
    • 1 cup of regular rolled oats
    • 1 cup quick-cooking barley
    • 1 cup bulgur or cracked wheat
    • 1 cup dried cranberries or snipped dried apricots
    • 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
    • 1/3 cup of sugar
    • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • Milk (optional)

Up to six months ahead. In a air-tight storage container stir together the oats, barley, bulgur or cracked wheat, cranberries or apricots, almonds, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cover tightly and store in a cool, dry place for up to six months. Makes about 4 2/3 cups mix or 7 servings.

For 2 breakfast servings: In a small saucepan bring 1 1/3 cups water to a boil. Stir in mix; add 2/3 cup of the cereal mix to the boiling water. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until cereal reaches desired consistency. If desired serve with milk.

Nutrition information: 300 calories, 5 grams of fat, 0 mg chol., 9 gram protein, 62 gram carbo, 83 mg of sodium, 10 grams of fiber.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I might give this a try since I already know that almonds taste great in cereal. One of my favorite breakfast cereals for the past few years has been Special K - Vanilla Almond.

517rooGWx1L.jpg

You can even see the almond pieces in this picture:
    food-064.jpg

As for your recipe I probably wouldn't try it cold because rolled oats don't taste that good unless they are either ground up or dissolved in something hot.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Oh boy, sugar and cereal. Two of many things I try to stay away from. I live a pretty healthy diet. I've been suffering from sicknesses and allergies for a long time until I started eating right. Although I like the idea of almonds and cranberries. The rest of it is questionable or out of the question.

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I am not a big fan of oatmeal, but on a cold winter morning, it does taste good, and warm you up as well. I usually get the stone-rolled oats, and the mixed grains in the little bags from Bob's Red Mill. I have never made it quite like your recipe, @2sweed; but similar. I don't add any sugar, but I do add raisins/cranberries, and flax seeds. When I am ready to cook it for breakfast, I will chop up an apple and add that. It ends up coming out like sort of an apple crisp with the apple, cinnamon, and cloves (or apple pie spice).

Then I sweeten it with a dab of sorghum or honey (you don't need much with the apple in there), add a dab of milk or cream , and enjoy. Wonderful idea to premix it and store it though, instead of haveing to do it each time like i have been doing.

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

This was not my personal recipe but was given to me by a friend. I like the main ingredients as they provide fuel and protein on a cold winter day. I don't add the sugar, but instead use raisins and once in a while a bit of stevia or blue agava. But for a trail or camping item it is healthy and good on a journey. Just because a recipe calls for sugar does not make it totally unhealthy, as you can make changes to fit your diet. This recipe is not like granola so I don't think it is to be eaten cold.

happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted